Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Confusing Book Reviews & Ratings

confusing book reviews and ratings | mara was here
Looking at the title, one might think that I’m going to talk about how it’s really hard to properly rate reviews in accordance to how I really feel, which is actually 100% true but, that’s not what I’m going to talk about today.

For the months I’ve come back to use my Goodreads account again, I’ve come to realize something:

Some star ratings don’t reflect their reviews, or vice versa.



For example (and I’m not going to namedrop accounts here for privacy purposes), when I checked reviews for a particular book to see if I should read it or not, one of the reviews contained praises and positive comments about the book, but the reviewer rated it two stars.

Erm… what?

confused tumblr gif

I was entirely confused when I read the review because I thought the reviewer liked it very well, but why did he/she rate it two stars? Why not four? Or maybe three? Heck, why not a five if he/she liked it that much?!

Another example is when I checked another review, and it contained a lot of things the reviewer hated about the book, even more than the things he/she liked, but the reviewer rated the book four stars.

"why?!" confused gif

WHY??

Sometimes I understand those kinds of ratings because the reviewers themselves explain why they rated it higher than the book deserved (like when the plot was great anyway despite the terrible writing, etc.). However, 80% of the time (this is pretty much a rough estimation, people), these confusing ratings aren’t explained. And thus, I’m left even more clueless as to whether the book really is good or not.

And how is that helpful for us readers who haven’t read the book yet?!

the agony gif

Hopefully I’m not the only one who notices these types of reviews, because for some reason, I keep on seeing more and more of them now on Goodreads. Maybe there’s a reason that these things happen, but I’m just too slow to realize what the reason is? Ugh, I don’t know.





Have you read confusing reviews too? Have I actually published a confusing review as well without me noticing it? (If so, then please do tell me!) Let’s talk about it below!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! It's so confusing. Like should I read this book or not?! It's hard to properly understand their opinion. But at the same time... maybe they just have really high standards?! Maybe once upon a time they read the best book ever and had to rate it five stars, but nothing else, no matter how good, can compare? I don't know! I just know that from now on I'm going to be extra careful and make sure my reviews aren't confusing! This is a really interesting discussion, Mara! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top