Monday, July 11, 2016

My Sister Rosa: This book is my kind of crazy

TITLE: My Sister Rosa
AUTHOR: Justine Larbalestier
GENRE: YA Contemporary Thriller
PUBLICATION DATE: November 15, 2016 by Soho Teen

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
What if the most terrifying person you know is your ten-year-old sister? Seventeen-year-old Aussie Che Taylor loves his younger sister, Rosa. But he’s also certain that she’s a diagnosable psychopath—clinically, threateningly, dangerously. Recently Rosa has been making trouble, hurting things. Che is the only one who knows; he’s the only one his sister trusts. Rosa is smart, talented, pretty, and very good at hiding what she is and the violence she’s capable of. Their parents, whose business takes the family from place to place, brush off the warning signs as Rosa’s “acting out.” Now that they have moved again—from Bangkok to New York City—their new hometown provides far too many opportunities for Rosa to play her increasingly complex and disturbing games. Alone, Che must balance his desire to protect Rosa from the world with the desperate need to protect the world from her.

MY THOUGHTS

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
The first place I found this book was on Goodreads.

(Actually, 80% of the books I’ve read nowadays, I’ve found on Goodreads. But still.)

The moment I read the summary, I knew I wanted to read it. I mean, I’m basically the type of gal who loves gore and action and suspense. I have no idea if I’ve mentioned it before, but one of the reasons I loved Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows was because Kaz and the gang were awesome at torture. And killing. And planning.

Which is basically Rosa in three sentences.


Rosa is a creepy twelve-year-old and I like it

scary "see you in my dreams" clown tumblr gif

And I also have no idea if I should like it. I mean, she’s got a personality disorder, and she’s basically capable of actually killing people (spoiler: she does) and I like it. IS THAT EVEN OKAY??

All right, I love the fact that Rosa is creepy. I love how weird she is and that I have no idea when her next, err, "problematic decisions" will take place. I was curious as to how her mind works and the way she convinces herself that she isn't doing anything wrong. Basically, My Sister Rosa has given me the feeling of fear and curiosity that I’m pretty sure the book wanted to give to its readers through Rosa.


Che and Sojourner


For one, I definitely loved Sojourner. It’s the first time in a while that I’ve read a book that introduces a seriously religious person (or family). I also love how she respects Che’s belief, and how she doesn’t try to force her religion on him.

And as for Che, he’s creepy, bruhs. I already knew there was something wrong about him from the start. I just… I CALLED IT. I SO CALLED IT. (In a good way, I mean. Not in the predictable kind of way. BUT I STILL CALLED IT.)

As for Che and Sojourner as a couple… Well, I can say I was somehow satisfied with the path their relationship took. Not that I’m saying I liked it but… I already had a feeling that it’d go there eventually.


Diversity


Ah, the thing I loved most about this book! (Besides Rosa, of course.) The diversity in My Sister Rosa is BOOMING. Like, seriously.

Sojourner is an African-American, and she has two mothers, "Mom" and "Mama."

Their is also a lesbian character.

And a gender-fluid character.

And of course, there's Rosa's disorder.

AND I REPEAT, this book also has a Catholic family in it. Like, the serious type. Not just the “oh-let’s-add-in-a-religious-family-in-here-just-because” type.

And, well, I’m pretty sure there’s still more I’m forgetting but just believe me when I say it’s diverse. Really. BELIEVE ME.


Sibling love


The relationship I cared about the most in this book was, of course, the siblings. Despite the craziness that is Rosa (and that she is, definitely, a scary twelve-year-old), I appreciated the fact that Che still loved his younger sister, although it quite understandably faded a bit through the end. It was the kind of sibling love I could relate to, because no matter how much one hates their brother or sister, one can’t ever remove all of their love towards their sibling, can they?

                    

My Sister Rosa is a book that didn’t let me down. (BUUUUT there was one thing left unanswered in the book: the fact that Che's family has been supported by Leilani's parents from the start. That plot hole made me feel a bit fidgety for a while.) It has suspense, drama, love (both romantic and otherwise), and family all kicked into one. I’m hoping you find Rosa as creepily interesting as I did, because damn did that kid give me the goosebumps!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top