Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Wink Poppy Midnight: Okay, so… What was I supposed to get from this?

Wink Poppy Midnight book cover
TITLE: Wink Poppy Midnight
AUTHOR: April Genevieve Tucholke
GENRE: YA Mystery/Thriller, Romance, Contemporary, Magical Realism, Fantasy
PUBLICATION DATE: March 22, 2016 by Dial Books

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.

BOOK REVIEW


I started this book thinking I would go about reading something like E. Lockhart’s We Were Liars. I admit I’m a part of those who were interested in this book firstly because of its book cover (I mean, JUST LOOK AT THAT BEAUTY).

However, I don’t think I understood anything I’ve read, or that I’m missing something that the book’s trying to tell me.


You see, for the first few parts of the book, I honestly just skimmed past a few paragraphs because everything was too boring and nothing was really happening. It was like the part where the reader is introduced to the characters and is shown how they lived their lives (and how sassy and impolite they are). It should have been a good thing, if only it wasn’t a ton of pages long that just felt like it dragged on and on to nowhere.

It was only at the middle, when the trio were in the Roman Luck House, that at least something really interesting was finally happening. But even as things started escalating, it felt like I was being led around in circles until the ending was just… I don’t even know. I was already a bit interested at the sudden turn of events, especially when I found out the truth about Wink, Poppy and Midnight, but as the story ended, it felt like nothing I’ve read in the book felt like it mattered. Other than that, it’s really quite hard to explain.

                

Overall, I admit I just forced myself to finish this book because hey, it’s only a short one anyway. I guess I was hoping for something really, really interesting to happen, and that it would conclude with an awesome *bang*, but that wasn’t the case for me. I was just left there wondering what I just read and if I understood anything at all.

If you like weird stories or thrillers that needs you to really think and focus on what’s happening around the story, then you might want to give Wink Poppy Midnight a try. As for those who loved We Were Liars, well, you may or may not like this book, depending on your taste for weirdness (I loved WWL, but WPM was just a no for me).

author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top