Thursday, May 12, 2016

6 Things I Do When I’m Not Reading

I admit I spend most of my time reading books. However, there are still times when I want to take a small break from doing so or just feel like doing something else. (*GASP* Yes, I do feel that way, but it usually lasts for only a few hours!)

So, I thought it would be fun to share with you guys all the stuff I do when I’m not reading, as well as telling you all the other things I love besides the obvious. I realized I haven’t really talked much about my other hobbies, so... I think this would be a great way for you guys to know about them. :)


#1 I draw people



I’m going to emphasize “people” here because I suck at drawing landscapes. (I know, that GIF is a bird and not a human being BUT I RAN OUT OF GIFs OKAY.) Or anything that isn’t a person at all. Really, if you think my drawing skills with people are suckish, then you shouldn’t see me attempting to draw a mountain. (Spoiler: it’s literally just an upside-down V.)

If you follow my Instagram account, you’ve probably seen some of the drawings I made for the books I’ve recently read and/or loved. One of my goals in life is to buy my own Wacom tablet and digitally draw at home. I tried manual inking on Paint Tool Sai but... I feel like the outcome would look much better if I did it with a pen tablet. (But I did try in the past though! I’m just not that good at manually customizing the line pressures.)

Hopefully, I’ll finally get to share some awesome digital fan art in the future. :D


#2 I watch anime



I have no idea if you guys are aware of this, but I am in love with shoujo anime. I even read mangas, too (I’m a sucker for anything Sakisaka Io, to be honest). Ironically, I also love violent animes with gore in them. I have no idea why I have such contradicting favorites.

Three of the recent animes I’ve watched are Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime, Shingeki no Kyojin and Tokyo Ghoul (WHITE-HAIRED KANEKI IS ♥). I’d link you to my MyAnimeList profile, but it’s terribly outdated so... I’d rather not haha.

If you want any anime suggestions, especially if you want to try watching anime for the first time, the here’s a short list for you:

Anime with blood/gore/violence in them:
  • Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan (Blood splatter and limbs everywhere, but bearable.)
  • Tokyo Ghoul (Really violent, and there’s a torture scene here.)
  • Danganronpa: The Animation (Lots of killing every few episodes, but the blood is pink and the torture scenes aren’t all too violent.)
  • Another (Has a lot of gore; you might want to skip this if you’re not used to sort-of-realistic deaths and a lot of blood. However, the storyline in this anime is really good so if you can bear the gore, you might love this anime!)
  • Mirai Nikki/Future Diary (Bearable violence.)

Shoujo anime

I’m currently watching Kamisama Kiss, and Tomoe already stole my heart at episode one. *o*


#3 I listen to music and sing along with it


If I literally feel like doing nothing, then I just open my phone and stream music on Spotify. My go-to playlists are Teen Pop and Teen Party (I basically love any song that’s pop and is for teens).


I also usually sing along to the songs I’m familiar with. Sometimes with a bearable voice, but most of the time I just scream all the words out until someone comes into my room and checks on me with a judging look on their face. (Someone = Mostly my mom and older sister.)


#4 I lead myself into the darkest depths of the internet


Okay, this isn’t surprising at all, but I’m still adding it to this list. For some reason that I absolutely cannot recall, I’m subscribed to Quora’s newsletter and have been stalking my feed there ever since. Some of the questions can be quite funny and entertaining, and some can be informative and educational. It’s really fun to read.

I also just hang out on Twitter and talk to myself there. Or Bloglovin and comment on blog posts that I find interesting. (I am currently convincing myself that my saved posts are completely organized and not just thrown in there to maybe give an impression that I am organized...... Well.)

I’m also a fan of Youtubers (my favorites are Jaspar, Phan and PewDiePie!), but recently I’ve been too busy to watch any of their videos. I’m planning on binge-watching them sometime, though!

If don’t feel like doing any of the above, then I just lazily search random stuff on the internet or watch weird videos on Youtube (or feed my fangirl needs with some bookish fanvids).


#5 I talk to my friends




I usually do this while doing any of the above things. I have friends I can talk to about a lot of stuff, especially about fangirling and books. I advise you not to wish to see our group chats because most of them are in all caps. Really scary. And dangerous. Not all of our topics are for the eyes of the public.



#6 I basically try not to sleep




One of the things you might not know about me is that I hate sleeping. I feel like I’m wasting eight hours of doing at least something while I’m snoozing in my bed. Which is pretty weird because a lot of people would do anything to sleep in their beds all day. I mean, I still love my bed as much as the next person, but I, you know, hate sleeping in it.



Please tell me I’m not alone in the “I hate sleep” group. Also, do you read or watch manga/anime? BECAUSE YOU TOTALLY SHOULD (it is not cartoons I beg you). Oh and what do you do when you’re not reading? Or do you do anything at all besides reading? LET US TALK. <3
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top