Thursday, May 19, 2016

5 Book Habits I Constantly Do

I think I’ve properly established the fact that I’m weird and I do weird things. (If you don’t know that yet, then you’re probably a new reader.) Why did I mention this? Because I’m about to tell you guys all the habits I do while I’m reading, which most of you may or may not do as well. Though I’m clinging to the possibility that I’m not the only one who does these things. (I also have no idea how my first sentence connects to my actual post topic, but oh well.)


#1 Skipping long paragraphs


This may be one of the reasons why I’m a fast reader. Whenever I see chunks of text in one whole paragraph, I run away and skip to the next. I tend to get bored easily over really long paragraphs, so I usually just skim them and continue with my normal pacing when I reach a new dialogue.


AND YES. I know, I know. Long paragraphs = descriptions about something or someone. Which is important and follows the show, don’t tell rule. BUT I CAN’T HELP IT. I’m pretty sure there’s a short alternative to how you’ll explain that gorgeous mountain without using so many metaphors that make my head ache.


#2 Forgetting character descriptions


This is also the number one reason as to why Wikia saves my sad life 99% of the time (the 1% is when I accidentally read a spoiler that I am TOTALLY not prepared for). If a book cover doesn’t feature a human person who obviously represents the main character (or the important secondary one), then I’m sure I’ll create my own imaginary descriptions for the characters I read in books, and most of the time, I’ll imagine them all with black hair.

For example, I can still clearly recall when I imagined Annabeth as a brunette or black-haired girl when I was reading the PJO series until I looked at some of the fan art that completely ruined all the times I imagined her kicking asses with black hair. I was honestly taken aback then. REALLY.

Also, if the ToG series didn’t feature blonde-haired Celaena on each of its covers (really though, that girl’s not even blond anymore, it’s white), I’m 100% sure I would’ve imagined her with black hair.

But... Why black, you ask? I have no idea. Maybe because it’s easier to imagine?? I DON’T KNOW. However, now I’ve learned to take note of hair, eye and skin color descriptions in books so I can remember them all the time (I still tend to forget them sometimes though). Or, if my memory really fails its job to actually remind me, I’ll just visit the book’s Wikia and read those character descriptions that comes with the character pages. Or basically just Google some fan art.


#3 Forgetting actual characters


Ah, this is a funny one. There are rare occasions where I actually forget one character existed in the book and I’d have to Google them so I can recall when they last showed up. I have no idea if this happens to anyone else (I HOPE IT DOES BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO BE ALONE).


One of my recent cases for this problem is Elide from the Throne of Glass series. I literally forgot she existed because dude, she only appeared for, like, what? 5 seconds? Then she disappeared. Then a few chapters later she suddenly became an important character and I kept on racking my brain trying to remember when she last appeared that I even had to search her name on Google. I’M SORRY.


#4 Dramatically reacting over every single thing


I’m an overly-dramatic reader. If this doesn’t already show with my caps lock-filled blog posts and shrieking reactions on all of the books I read on my Goodreads progress updates, then I don’t know what else to show you to prove it.

Seriously though, you should try and check any of my progress updates on Goodreads. One of my recent shrieking fits were from while I was reading The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson.


I was feeling very fangirly.


#5 Not actually using the map


I think I’ve read someone somewhere that does this too. The great amount of time I spent staring at those glorious maps in books before I start reading them is as much time as I spend not staring at them while I’m reading. Mainly because I’m too hooked to stop reading and flip back on page two to keep track of where the characters are going. And another is because I don’t really think I need them to understand what’s happening in the book.

NONETHELESS, I still love maps. SO AUTHORS, PLEASE DON’T EVER STOP CREATING THEM THANK YOU.



Do you have your own book habits that aren’t listed above? Or do we share the same habits that I’ve mentioned?? Please tell me I’m not alone in the “forgetting actual characters” thing. >.<
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top