Tuesday, April 26, 2016

13 Reasons Why You Should Read The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn book cover
TITLE: The Wrath and the Dawn
AUTHOR: Renée Ahdieh
GENRE: YA Historical Fantasy & Romance
PUBLISHING DATE: May 12, 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
One Life to One Dawn.

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she;d imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzard has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Inspired by A Thousand and One Nights, The Wrath and the Dawn is a sumptuous and enthralling read from beginning to end.

List Review

Oh. My. God. THIS. BOOK. IS. AMAZING.


If you’re like me before and have been seeing this book everywhere and even has it on your TBR list, but have yet to read it and has been thinking of doing so yet reads thousands of other books instead, then dude, you’re missing out on some REALLY GREAT awesomesauce here.

If you haven’t been convinced yet, then here are thirteen other reasons why you should read The Wrath And The Dawn:

  • It is set in historical Persia. PERSIA. Isn’t that interesting enough?
  • There is a poisoning attempt. And choking. Cool, right?
  • Shazi and Despina are amusing together. Really. Just place them in the same room, let them talk, and you’ll laugh.
  • Shazi is also hilarious at times. For example:
“I can’t say I’m surprised. As for me? I believe I’ll leave this set of goods on the rack, as well. I have no interest in... tiny cucumbers.”
  • Tiny cucumbers. TINY CUCUMBERS. This probably makes more sense when you’ve read it in the book yourself, BUT STILL. I laughed out loud when I read that part. 
  • There is a magical carpet. Well, not like that wasn’t obvious. BUT STILL. FLYING CARPET. YAY.
  • Shazi is an ace at using the bow and arrow. So if you’re a huge fan of bow-and-arrow-wielding heroines, then you should try this out.
  • The writing is BEAUTIFUL. It definitely gives you that Persian-ish feel. Wait, I don’t even know how to describe it properly. Just... IT’S JUST GOOD, OKAY.
  • Shazi and Khalid is my new OTP. I mean, I didn’t really like them at first and I thought everything was too insta-love, but then again, I COULDN’T HELP IT OKAY. It’s the kind of insta-love I couldn’t help but admire. Also, what’s their ship name? Shazid? Kharzad? PLEASE INFORM ME.
  • Khalid is so nice that my heart melts for him. I WANNA HUG HIM LIKE A TINY TEDDY BEAR SO BAD.
  • If you adore sacrificial love, then this book is for you.
  • Shazi tells Khazi bedtime stories. Aw. Well, not really. But sort of. Though Shazi’s stories could be brutal and/or rated PG.
  • Jalal is also amusing. And I like him. Sort of. That ending though. WHY DID YOU LET THEM, JALAL. WHY. I THOUGHT YOU SHIPPED THEM.
  • THE ENDING. THE ENDING IS SO *BLEEP*INGLY FRUSTRATING. SERIOUSLY. I was all, “KHALID WHAT THE HELL TAKE THAT PAPER OFF THAT FREAKING FIRE RIGHT. THIS. INSTANT.” Please tell me I wasn’t the only one who felt the same.

That being said, I must admit there were times in the book that made me, well, not love it all that much. These “times” actually round up to two things, which isn’t as many as it sounded just now, BUT MOVING ON.


The romance


Like I said in the list above, this book has insta-love in it. Shazi and Khalid will feel some sort of attraction with each other in less than a few days after their first meeting (possibly even on their first day).

There was also one point while reading the story that I was somewhat annoyed that Shazi kept on convincing herself that she won’t fall in love with the Caliph, but ended up falling in love with him anyway. Like, come on, girl. I thought you wouldn’t.

Still, I wouldn’t deny the fact that I ended up rooting for them eventually. The times when they were alone together honestly made me squeal and squish their heads together. I’m not a fan of insta-love myself, so I’m surprised I’m even rooting for these two.


If you don’t like insta-love that much either but are still contemplating whether or not you should read TWATD, then I suggest you should. Maybe it’ll appeal to you as well.


I also wish I got more backstory between Shazi and Shiva.


I know this all started with Shazi’s plan to take revenge on the Caliph for her best friend, Shiva, but I honestly didn’t feel any tight bond between her and Shiva for me to root for Shazi to kill the Caliph. We’re just told that they’re best friends, and that she and Shazi have been through a lot and that Shiva means a lot to Shazi, etc. But I don’t even know Shiva. Do I make any sense here?

(I thank that Shiva exists though. Without her I would be rooting for nonexistent fictional characters. Which is even worse than rooting for fictional characters, to be honest.)

                    

Overall, I still love The Wrath and the Dawn no matter how much the two things above bothered me. The point is, this book is really good. Yes, there were some things that made me... well... not like it at first, but I was so engrossed in the story and couldn’t put it down AT ALL (sleeping felt like torture to me, honestly). So, 5 stars, no doubt about it. I think the book definitely lived up to its hype.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top