Tuesday, April 5, 2016

City of Bones – City of Glass: Well that was intense (also some major & minor spoilers below, BEWARE)

TITLE: City of Bones
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
PUBLISHING DATE: March 27, 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. And she’s more than a little startled when the body disappears into thin air. Soon Clary is introduced to the world of the Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of warriors dedicated to driving demons out of our world and back to their own. And Clary is introduced with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque monster. How could a mere human survive such an attack and kill a demon? The Shadowhunters would like to know…

SHORT(-ISH) REVIEW

*I read City of Bones in its September 1st, 2015 paperback edition, hence the updated book cover on the top left*

Clary Fray


Clary. Clary and her reckless tendencies. WHY. WHY ARE (some) HEROINES ALWAYS SO RECKLESS. Oh, AND STUBBORN. I understand that Clary wants to save her mom. I mean, I’d do everything I can if it was my mom, too. I also understand that she wanted to save Simon. But really, she has got to weigh the options first and at least understand that she’s putting people - that she barely even knows, I might add - in danger. (Basically I’m on Alec’s side in the whole problematic Clary thing.)



The incest bomb


I already knew there’d be an incest-ish romance thing in The Mortal Instruments before I decided to read it (I also already know the truth about it before I ever read it), so I was basically emotionless when the incest bomb was thrown. Then again, why? WHY?? Was that even necessary?


The romance


Clary and Jace’s romance? Well... I don’t know about you, but I didn’t buy it that much. One of the things that I didn’t like about their romance was how Jace was so obsessed with Clary. Alec and Isabelle said it was a very rare thing to happen, which might sound sweet for those of you who like those kinds of romances, but it didn't for me. I understand that he’s drawn to her because of how new and clueless (and yet "brave") Clary is despite everything, but I don’t know... maybe I’m really just not a fan of romances where two complete strangers are inexplicably drawn to each other the moment they meet. I like it to be explainable. To make more sense. Oh, and the incest bomb didn’t help, either.


Jace Lightwood


(Using that last name so no spoilers, people.) Don’t get me started on Jace, please. Jace, I love you, but you’re too much of those Dream Guys teenage girls want to date. Badass, reckless, has this “I don’t even want to be here” aura, and blond. Oh, and perfectly handsome, too. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a teenager myself, but I ain’t affected by Jace’s handsomeness. Nu-uh.



Frequently changing POVs


If you’re not a fan of frequently changing POVs in books, then you might have a hard time liking The Mortal Instruments as a whole. Though it’s told in a third person’s point of view, it still tells us the story from different perspectives – such as Jace and Clary's. I, for one, don’t have a problem with this, because I could still understand everything anyway, but I still wanted to point this out just in case.


Fast-paced


One of the greatest things that I loved about City of Bones is how fast-paced it is. There’s always something going on during every chapter that I always had to force myself to read the book and not stop reading!

          

There were things that made me equally like and dislike City of Bones, but I do have to admit that I was addicted to the world of the Nephilim, which is most probably one of the reasons why I couldn’t stop reading the book. I mean, runes and witchlights and Downworlders and seraph blades? COUNT ME IN.



TITLE: City of Bones
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
PUBLISHING DATE: March 25, 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what’s normal when you’re a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who’s becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn’t ready to let her go—especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary’s only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil—and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings—and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

SHORT(-ISH) REVIEW

*I read City of Ashes in its September 1st, 2015 paperback edition, hence the updated book cover on the top left*

Aaaaand the love triangle is here


I don’t know if you’re aware of it, but I like love triangles if they’re written well. In this case, the love triangle between Simon, Clary and Jace is just... I don’t even like it one bit. Couldn’t Simon just have fallen in love with Isabelle earlier in the series? I would’ve liked that more.


Also, Clary’s tendencies to use Simon


I am SO overly protective with Simon so much that it's like he’s my brother. He’s geeky, he’s human, and he’s also socially awkward. I like him. So I hate that in City of Ashes, Clary only talks to Simon when she’s in need of his help. WHY, CLARY WHY? FRIENDSHIPS DON’T WORK LIKE THAT, MISSY. All she does is hurt her best friend’s feelings, and then when she’s in dire need of something, she calls him. And of course Simon can’t help but forgive her and help her because he’s in love with Clary. Sigh. Simon, you could have done so much better.

Oh, and also, that part where I thought Valentine actually DID IT?? I freaked out and had to close the book for five minutes before I could continue. I WANTED SIMON TO LIVE, OKAY. He's basically one of the few humorous people in the books that I actually appreciated.


Clary Fray and her whiny tendencies


I don’t even want to elaborate on this anymore. She’s still stubborn and reckless and just simply whiny.


Imogen Herondale


I truly think Imogen could have had a better role in the book. All she ever did was make things worse, and the fact that she’s blinded by her revengeful tendencies just makes it even worse-r. And in the end, when she regrets everything the moment she finds out the truth about Jace, I didn’t know what to feel. I think I felt a bit sympathetic and liked her character a little more than I initially did? If only she didn’t die the moment she was about to tell Jace the truth, then things would have been way better for both Jace and Clary, and even in the third book as well, to be honest.


The romance


Ha ha ha ha ha SEELIE QUEEN YOU ROCK. Then again, I still don’t ship Jace and Clary’s incest love story. I’m so sorry. I tried, I really did! But I just... couldn’t. I appreciated the fact that they were trying to make things morally right by staying away from each other so they can refrain from doing their romantic shenanigans and all that, but I still can’t. I really can’t.


This was also the time when I greatly appreciated Malec


I could honestly dedicate one whole post about Malec on the blog, but I’m pretty sure I might bore you guys out, so I won’t. *cries* BUT, I really loved reading about Malec, because it came off as comic relief in the books, and I love comic relief. And Malec. I really love Malec.


          

I think City of Bones was much better than City of Ashes, but it was still good either way. Again, there were some things that I liked and some that I didn’t, and though the first few chapters bored me a little, the book was still fast-paced by the time things get really interesting. So if you loved City of Bones, then City of Ashes is definitely a must-read.



TITLE: City of Bones
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
PUBLISHING DATE: March 24, 2009 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?

SHORT(-ISH) REVIEW

*I read City of Glass in its September 1st, 2015 paperback edition, hence the updated book cover on the top left*

Clary Fray and Jace What’s-His-Last-Name


Still not a fan. Sigh. :( I REALLY TRIED, I PROMISE. But Jace’s identity crisis wasn’t really my thing, and Clary is still reckless and whiny. I mean, I love that they’ve figured out the truth and that they can finally “freely love” and all that, but meeeeh.


Sebastian Morgenstern


I actually loved Sebastian and his role in the book. Though I already knew what he was going to do in City of Glass (I love spoilers, remember? I read City of Glass 95% prepared), I still had fun when I was reading those chapters he was in. Also, white-haired guys are kewl.



Then again, he really is the ultimate definition of incest, though.


Max Lightwood


I am as overly protective with Max as I am with Simon. I loved him so much from all those few pages he actually appeared in the books. So when I figured out what happens to him in the middle of the book, I WANTED TO SLIT SEBASTIAN’S NECK SO MUCH I SWEAR. (I still love him, though.) What can I say, I’m a sucker for geeks and innocent people.

*weeps* MAX, YOU DESERVED SO MUCH MORE.


Oh, and Malec (AGAIN)


I loved that Malec kiss scene! Especially when Maia asked if they were supposed to do that, too. I’m so proud of Alec for finally coming out. I WANT TO CRY AND PAT HIS BACK AND HUG HIM LIKE A SON. MY EMOTIONS.


The ending (major spoilers below)


I still remember the time when I was in Chapter 20 and was freaking out because it’s the last chapter and Valentine still isn’t dead and a lot of things still haven’t been resolved and stuff and I just... How could Clare manage to conclude everything in just one chapter?! (I mean, she couldn't possibly write the whole battle scene in the Epilogue, right?)

So, I finally finished the book, I wasn’t all that satisfied. I mean, I only got around two pages of Raziel and Valentine and his sudden death. Like, really sudden death. It was so uncalled for that I didn’t feel a thing – which might actually be a good thing for others, but unfortunately not for me. Everything was so rushed in just one chapter. (Oh, but I applaud Raziel, though. That angel’s definitely badass.)

Also, I was a bit hurt when Jace died. I was actually sad, which is saying something, because I didn’t like him much throughout the first three books! But then Clare had to cheat on me and create a reason to resurrect Jace again so everyone can all live happily ever after.

BUT I DON’T LIKE CHEATING DEATHS. :(

Sorry, but though it would’ve been a great emotional wreck for me if Jace actually died, I think that would have been better than resurrecting him back up again so Clace’s ship will continue sailing and Clare could write the fourth book without any problems. I don’t mean to offend or sadden any Clace shippers, though! Sorry if I did. I just... I like making myself feel pain, you know?

               

There were a lot of twists and turns in City of Glass, which I really liked. However, there was still that part at the ending that put me off, so I had to remove one star. A great book like the first two. If you loved the first two books in The Mortal Instruments series, then City of Glass 98% won’t disappoint.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top