Thursday, April 7, 2016

Have You Ever Hesitated to Read a Book Before?


Imagine this: It’s time to read a new book. You look through your TBR and find that book you’ve always wanted to read. But, something’s holding you back. The question is, what’s holding you back?


Hopefully I’m not the only one who experiences this (I may be weird, but I’ve done enough Google Searches in my lifetime to know there’s someone out there who’s at least nearly as weird as I am). I don’t know about you, but I’ve hesitated a lot before reading a book on my shelf. And here are most of the reasons why:




It’s the first (or last) book of a series


For first books, I’ve always hesitated on reading them especially when they’re more than a trilogy. If it’s a series that already complete, I’d have to accept the fact that I’ll be spending half a month reading that whole series. Am I willing to spend that much time for it? Am I sure it’s good enough for me to binge read.

However, if it’s an ongoing series, then I don’t have much of a problem with it. If it’s the first book and the second one won’t be releases until next year, then that’s all right. I’ll just try out the first book and if I like it, then I’ll wait for the next book (better said than done, to be honest). If I don’t, then I’ll just move on and not finish the series.

For last books, they’ve always been one of the hardest things I’ve tried reading, especially when I loved the series. I mean, am I really ready to face the ending? That there won’t be any more (canon) stories I can read about those characters? AM I REALLY PREPARED TO FACE THAT FINAL BATTLE?! Most of the time, the answer is no. But heck, I force myself to read the book anyway.



The negative reviews make you fidgety


So, there’s this book that’s been flooding your feed for days now and all of its reviewers (the ones you trust the most) say “It’s awesome!”, or “THIS BOOK IS LIFE”, or “WHY ARE YOU NOT READING THIS BOOK YET?!”. Of course, this will catch your attention. You’ll search the book on Goodreads and check the average rating and you’ll go, “Wow! The average is four stars!” So of course you’ll mark that book as TBR in an instant.

Until you reach those 1 to 2-star reviews.


You’ll scroll through those reviews in horror and go, “BUT HOW CAN THAT BE. THEY SAID IT WAS SO GOOD.”

That is the time when I would personally go crazy and force my brain to choose whether this book would really be worth my time or not. (This is also better said than done.)



It’s so... big


Number one reason why I waited so long to read the Shadowhunter Chronicles and why I don’t think I’ll ever find time to read the Harry Potter series (I’M SORRY).

Sure, the books on my “To-Be-Read”, but I haven’t really bought the book yet. So I walk inside the bookstore and find that gigantic book and then I start to reconsider.

I mean, have you seen how BIG those books are? *starts crying* There’s just this thing about big books that intimidate me and make me hesitate and think, “Do I really want to read this book?” I mean, what if it’s not worth it? What if it’ll end up being a “it’s not you, it’s me” kind of book?



The book’s too good to be true


Again, you see an overly-hyped book. The book cover’s pretty. The summary is intriguing. Everybody you know seems to think it’s a really cool book and has been forcing asking you to read it for some time now.

Then again, doesn’t that book sound too good?

I think this applies to those “Overly-Hyped Books” discussion posts that were floating around the blogosphere before. Again, this triggers the question, “What if I don’t find it good? What if I think it’s just a really overly-hyped book? WHAT IF I DON’T LOVE IT?!”

Sometimes, it’s sad when everybody else loves one particular book and you simply sit there in the corner all alone because you’re one of those teeny-tiny few that think otherwise.




Have you ever hesitated to read a book or series before? Do the above situations relate to you, or do you have one that’s entirely different? Feel free to share your thoughts below, and let’s discuss!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top