Tuesday, March 15, 2016

15 Thoughts While Reading Prodigy by Marie Lu

Prodigy by Marie Lu book cover
TITLE: Prodigy
AUTHOR: Marie Lu
GENRE: YA Dystopian Sci-Fi & Romance
PUBLISHING DATE: January 29, 2013 by Putnam Juvenile

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic’s most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots – a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

List Review

I definitely think Prodigy improved greatly from the previous book. It got me hooked more than Legend did, which was good. I thought this book would be a disappointment for me, but it wasn’t!

I’ve been trying to figure out how to review this book because a normal book review just wouldn’t fit for it. Thus, I decided to make a list review for it. Here are 15 thoughts I had while reading Prodigy by Marie Lu.

WARNING: Possible spoilers ahead. You have been warned. 
  1. I think I ship Anden for June more than Day. I don’t know why. Even from Legend, I didn’t buy June and Day’s relationship at all. Anden and June’s just make more sense for me.
  2. I LOVE TESS. She’s just this little squiggly near-sighted girl that I want to hug and take care of and be proud of like a big sister or a mother. SHE’S JUST SO ADORABLE I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY.
  3. June: “I don’t trust Razor.” Me: “Who in their right mind would. HE’S SMELLS TOO FISHY.”
  4. June, I know you care for Day, and we both know he probably can’t bathe fast by himself, but even I know you mean more than just “helping him bathe” when you offered your help. HAH. You sneaky little twerp.
  5. I like Kaede. She’s straightforward and strong. And mysterious. And cool. I like cool.
  6. Yep. I definitely like Anden more than Day.
  7. All right, all these people trust a sixteen-year-old to lead a revolution. Cool.
  8. Well, I also think Tess is way better than June, but meh.
  9. Whoa major character development with Thomas here. I think I ship Thomas and Metias even more than June and Day, honestly.
  10. All right, I’m confused. So is Anden really the bad guy or not? I NEED TO KNOW.
  11. TESS. WHY. WHY DID YOU STRAY AWAY. IF SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO YOU I SWEAR TO GOD –
  12. I love Metias and June’s sibling relationship so much. If only I got to read more of them than the first book let me. :( (Gah, now I want my own older brother.)
  13. HAH. I KNEW IT. RAZOR WAS ALWAYS SO FISHY.
  14. NOOOO. KAEDEEEEE. WHYYY?!? BUT I LOVED YOU SO MUCH. WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO THE COOL CHARACTERS.
  15. Well that was just… Clich√©? I don’t know. I never liked these kinds of book situations where the guy gets sick or something and chooses to break up with his girlfriend just so he couldn’t hurt her. I can tell something extremely dramatic is going to happen in the third book just because of this thing.
          

SO. That was a big rollercoaster ride of feels. Although I do think Prodigy was better than Legend, I kind of hoped it would be better. Some of the dialogue felt empty and the others felt forced.

There is also this major factor I have with the main characters in the book – namely June and Day. I liked the secondary characters more than them (Anden, Tessa and Kaede), which is a big thing for me because connecting with the main characters is an important aspect for me while reading a book. I just didn’t like them at all in some scenes. And like what happened in the previous book, if it weren’t for the font style difference between June and Day while I was reading it on paperback, it would have been hard for me to determine who was talking. Day and June are just too similar to differentiate.

But then again, I’ll still be moving on to the third book. Hopefully this one’s not going to disappoint. :)



Do you care about the impact a major character gives to you while reading a book, or do you not mind it that much? Have you read Legend and want to share any thoughts? Feel free to comment below!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top