Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Legend: The Book that Helped Me in History Class this One Time...

TITLE: Legend
AUTHOR: Marie Lu
GENRE: YA Dystopian Sci-Fi & Romance
PUBLISHING DATE: November 29, 2011 by Putnam Juvenile

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Book Review

“I could be compassionate, if I wanted. Metias would be merciful. But I was never as good a person as my brother.”

Really interesting world building


I’d like to start this review with my fascination of the world building in Marie Lu’s Legend. Being one who sucks at History and anything memorizing, I honestly don’t know a thing about war other than people dying and those types of warfare and stuff. (I also got the chance to refresh my mind about World War I since that was our lesson in History class, thankfully.) Actually, I even got the chance to recite in class about what a Republic is thanks to this book. So booyah.

But moving on, I was also interested with how smart June and Day were. I liked reading their calculations and being all “OOOH that makes sense! These guys are pretty smart!” or “How come I could never think of that under time pressure?!” Reading their kind of logic fascinated me.


But I also had a hard time reading their POVs


You see, the fact that Day and June are a carbon copy of one another almost made it hard for me to decipher who was talking. Their way with words were basically the same (except for that “cousin” thing, because only Day and Tess use that term). If it weren’t for the change of font color whenever I’m reading Day’s POV, I would definitely be confused as to who’s talking. But speaking of that font color...


Even so, I loved reading Day's!

“Brave thoughts, but am I ready to follow through on them?”
I actually enjoyed reading Day’s point of since the font style is quite different from when I’m reading June’s. For one, the text is color gold (which matches the book cover) and two, the font is thicker. I don’t know. I’m easily fascinated with things, all right?!


The romance

"What a joke! Poor little rich girl's fallen in love with the Republic's most famous criminal.”
I have to be honest here, I didn’t really buy June and Day’s romance. It’s too insta-love, and if you haven’t figured it out from my previous posts yet, I’m a biiiig critic about that kind of thing.
“It's strange being here with you. I hardly know you. But... sometimes it feels like we're the same person born into two different worlds.”

Honestly, if you’re in the middle of escaping a gang planning to kill you, would you find time to mentally compliment your savior’s eyes? Or think, “Damn, this guy’s hot and I’m in love with him.” Nah, I don’t think so.

(At least, I wouldn’t. Unless it’s Matthew Daddario or Ansel Elgort or something. BUT WE’RE TALKING REALISTICALLY HERE, PEOPLE.)


The writing


I also wasn’t fond of the writing at first. It was all so straightforward. Like, statement here, statement there, and oh! That’s an obvious one. It felt really fast-paced. In the beginning, I was a bit hesitant about it, but eventually I learned to just go with it halfway through. (That first sentence in the book though. Big hooker. I love it.)

        

In the end, I didn’t really love Legend as much as I thought I would. It was good, but there were times while reading that I thought everything was... empty. Like I didn’t really feel anything special about the words I was digesting and was reading it for the sake of finishing the book.

Even so, I’ll still move on to Prodigy. I have a feeling that one’s going to be better than Legend.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top