Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Infinity Dreams Award: In which I Talk About Being a Gigantic Stick and Having this Weird Obsession with Typing on a Keyboard

I wish to start this off with a HUGE thank-you to Izel @ A Bookish Flower for nominating me to do this! You have no idea how many times I jumped up and down inside my room when she appeared on my Twitter notifications. It was definitely a glorious 20 minutes of my life. SO THANK YOU.

Also, you should go check out her blog if you haven’t already. It looks beautiful, and she’s simply amazing. Her posts are entertaining, I tell you. ;) You’ll never get tired. You can check out her own Infinity Dreams post here.


The Rules

  • Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
  • Tell us eleven facts about yourself.
  • Answer the questions that were set for you to answer.
  • Nominate 11 bloggers and set questions for them.

11 Weird Facts About Myself

#1 I am a gigantic stick. It runs in the family. Well, the gigantic part, at least. I’m 5’7” tall which is quite taller for a normal 15-year-old here in the Philippines. My thin figure doesn’t help either. It’s not fun to always be at the back of the line, I tell you. Just hearing I’m allowed to line up front at school would be a miracle for me.

#2 I forget what I read. Not immediately, of course. But after tons and tons of books I’ve digested these past 15 years, you’d think I’d remember all of the things I’ve read? HAH. Definitely not. Sometimes I recall a gist of what went down in the story, but most of the time, I don’t. You have no idea how many times my sister has claimed I’m not a bookworm because I can’t remember any of the books I’ve read in the past. SHE JUST DOESN’T UNDERSTAND.

#3 I always have the urge to do something. I don’t like to just laze around all day and sleep (although sometimes I’ve considered it). I always want to do something and keep myself busy, or else I’ll freak out (this might be a bit of an exaggeration, BUT STILL). This is also why books are life. They keep me busy, and they’re always there for me. *sighs*

#4 I can type really fast. This is a bit funny, really. One of my friends at school always drags me to the school’s MIS (kind of like a computer lab where the students and teachers can use the computer for almost anything and print what you need to print, as long as you can pay for it) and make me type her homework whenever she didn’t do it a day before. I oblige all the time, though. I can’t help it. Something about typing on keyboards really fast feels really good for me, haha.

#5 I don’t have straight fingers. When I try to straighten them out, they end up arched backwards. At first I thought it was the same for everybody else, but when I discovered at school that some of my classmates have straight fingers, I was apparently wrong.

#6 I smile easily. I’ve tried stopping myself from smiling so easily before, but I just can’t help it! Even the corniest of jokes make me smile at least a little bit, even when I tell everyone I didn’t. It’s fun to smile all the time though, so it’s not like I’m complaining.

#7 I don’t read classics. I mostly stick to YA, since it’s the genre that I think really fits me. I’ve tried out Pride and Prejudice before, but the style of writing just wasn’t for me. Young Adult has been stuck with me for years now and I don’t think it’ll ever remove itself from my life. I’m still considering trying out another classic again, but if I do, it’ll most probably in the modern English version, hopefully.

#8 I would rather shop for books than shop for clothes. This is probably one of my mom and sister’s frustrations about me. Whenever they walk around the mall to shop for clothes, I always have my phone in hand and read on one of the chairs while they’re running around trying clothes on. It takes them ages to stop shopping, wherein I do the same when I’m in a bookstore, which then frustrates them because whenever I go inside, it’s hard for me to go back out. I AM SORRY, FAMILY.

#9 I procrastinate 99% of the time. Because YOLO. Also because I tend to put reading and using my phone first before anything else. But that doesn’t mean procrastinating makes me stressed! I may do things at the last minute, but I still finish it before the deadline nonetheless. :p

#10 I don’t stir my drinks. I love drinking frappes, especially chocolate or mocha frappes. One of the things I love most about it is the whip cream at the top. Now, most people would normally stir the whip cream with the drink, but I don’t. I usually remove the cover and use my straw to eat the whip cream. BECAUSE WHIP CREAM OKAY. It tastes delicious, no matter how many times my sister tells me it tastes gross. I even plan to buy whip cream someday and just eat it. (It’s in my list of “What I Plan To Spend My First Salary On”). I am weird, I know. I’ve already accepted that fact.

#11 I love every type of animal. Except insects. Give me a lion, a bear, a panda, a tiger, and – stars – even a frog, and I’d be so glad to hold it or feed it or pet it or something. As long as they’re tame of course. I’m not that crazy enough to consider hugging a wolf in the middle of a forest – yet.

And on that note, make sure you don’t hand me a cockroach or I. Will. Stab. You.

11 Questions That I Will Happily Answer

#1 Have you made any friends from blogging?

Hm... If by “friends” you mean people whom I’m already in all-caps terms with and whom I talk to 24/7, then unfortunately no. :( I’ve already discussed the matter of me being a shy potato here, and that I’m just really afraid of reaching out to others in the book blogging community one-on-one for now, but I really do hope I can gain long-term friends this year!

#2 Who are your favorite bloggers?

I’d just simply link you to my Bloglovin’ “Following” link here, but that’d be cheating. Then again, IT’S REALLY HARD TO PICK. But hey, I love you guys, and I wouldn’t want you all scrolling through my Following list that contains 1298948 blogs that will most probably get you overwhelmed to even click on, so I’ll just list three blogs here (excluding, of course, Izel, because that’s already a given – DUH!):

Cait @ Paper Fury (The all-caps cake-loving pirate I’ve come to love and stalk every week.)
Jillian @ Jillian’s Books (Her blog is simply beautiful, and her posts are always so informative and clean, but still has a friendly vibe to it.)
Alyssa @ The Devil Order’s Takeout (I really love her blog and how she relates everything to all things evilness. IT’S WONDERFUL *sadistic laugh*.)

#3 What type of book covers are you drawn to?

It varies, really. Although I don’t quite like book covers that have a lot going on in it. I’m also not that much of a fan of covers with models in them – sometimes, it ruins the image of the character I had in my head.

#4 What do you want to see more of in YA?

Definitely diversity. What kind? I’d rather not specify. I like books that surprise me – ones that have plots or topics (of any kind, really) that haven’t been tackled before. I don’t like reading books with plots that have already been written and rewritten over and over again.

#5 Is there anything you want for your blog? (New design/plugin etc…)

I’ve always been thinking of having my own domain, and then migrating to self-hosted Wordpress in the process. However, I’m still hesitating about the thought of spending money for my blog, so maybe I won’t be doing it soon. I’d rather do it when I’m 100% sure of doing it. :)

#6 Have you ever thought about having a co-blogger join you on your blog?

Yes! Although, like I said, I’m quite awkward when it comes to one-on-one conversations with new people, so I’ve never actually done it. Also, I think it’ll be hard for me to cope with a co-blogger to manage Mara Was Here and teaching him/her what to do and what not to do, especially with school keeping me busy and stuff. So yep, I may have considered it before, but I don’t think I’ll ever actually do it.

#7 Favorite pass time besides reading/blogging?

Definitely graphic designing. I’ve always been in love with doing graphics ever since I was around twelve years old and discovered the art of making forum signatures. At first it was only those – 500x200 edits of Taylor Swift and her lyrics, then it evolved to book cover designing on my Wattpad account, then poster making, and then everything just tumble-weeded after that.

#8 How do you feel when you don’t blog?

I almost always fidget! I keep thinking “I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting something for my blog, I just don’t know what!” or “What if someone commented on one of my posts, or mentioned me on Twitter, and I can’t reply as soon as possible?” It frustrates me to no end, but I guess it’s inevitable. Sometimes I just shrug it off, but most of the time it haunts me ‘till I fall asleep without checking out my blog stats all day at all.

#9 Where do you get your post inspiration from?

20% from the people I subscribe to on Bloglovin’ and all their wonderful and supportive posts about blogging, 20% from the things happening around me and the stuff I experience, and 60% from the deepest corners of my brain that choose to let out weird post ideas at the most random of times.

#10 What’s your favorite social media and why?

Twitter! I always love checking out my timeline and seeing new post updates and replying to tweets. Also, almost every author has a Twitter account, so I can scroll through my favorite authors’ profile all day and stalk them.

#11 What are your top 5 favorite songs right now?

This is really hard! Most of the time I tend to know a song but never know its title and/or artist, but here are the ones I know from heart so far:
  • Roses – The Chainsmokers (ft. Rozes)
  • Safety Pin – 5 Seconds of Summer
  • Sorry – Justin Bieber
  • Last Hope – Paramore
  • Wonderland – Taylor Swift

And now I nominate YOU!

These are the bloggers that I wish to nominate for The Infinity Dreams award:


And I’d also like to nominate you to do this. Because I’m cool and I break the rules. Just kidding – I ain’t cool, and there aren’t really any rules I’m breaking with this. Feel free to comment below the link to your post or mention me on Twitter – if you ever chose to do it – so I can check it out sometime!

The Wonderful 11 Questions

Here are the questions the people above are forced asked to answer:

#1 What is your favorite thing about blogging?
#2 What are you most afraid of?
#3 What is your number one pet peeve?
#4 POOF! A magical genie appears right in front of you and gives you three wishes. What would those three wishes be?
#5 What would your last words be?
#6 I suddenly turn into an awesome magical fairy and give you one chance to make one literary character come to life. Who would that be and why?
#7 What has been your most embarrassing moment so far?
#8 If you were to be a fairytale character, who would you be and why?
#9 What is your favorite book genre and why?
#10 What is your ultimate dream job?
#11 What is the number one thing – not person! – you just can’t live without?


Now, tell me something about you! Do you easily smile over things? Do you stick to only reading YA books? Are you somehow a wizard in disguise?! Feel free to comment down below! :)
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top