Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Six of Crows: How Do I Even. How Can I Even. READ THIS BOOK.

TITLE: Six of Crows 
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo
GENRE: YA Fantasy
PUBLISHING DATE: September 29, 2015 by Henry Holt and Company

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

REVIEW


The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true.

This book.

THIS BOOK.


How do I even begin to explain how I felt about this book.
Six of Crows is definitely a book I didn’t know I’d love so much. It was recommended to me by my lovely bookworm friend with the additional note of how “it has eye-gouging and knife stabbing and gore.” It was definitely the kind of note that would make me interested in a book, and my friend – and Leigh Bardugo – definitely did not disappoint.
When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing.
The story starts out with an introduction to the jurda parem, a stimulant that could make Grisha even more powerful and, in Van Eck’s words, make “things become possible that simply shouldn’t be”. The first chapter is in the point of view of a character that wouldn’t be seen in the rest of the book, but it really didn’t bother me that much. It was awesome all the same. This book’s focus is a bit dark, but Jesper’s humor and Nina and Inej’s friendships make things fun and lighthearted from time to time.
“Kaz leaned back. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"
"Knife to the throat?" asked Inej.
"Gun to the back?" said Jesper.
"Poison in his cup?" suggested Nina.
"You're all horrible," said Matthias.”
One of the things I loved about Six of Crows is the possibility of how Kaz’s crew knew they could betray one another at any given time, but still tried to trust each other anyway. Each chapter had its own interesting scenes, and I just simply couldn’t stop reading not matter how much school kept me busy. Some had scenes that I didn’t see coming at all, which was really great yet frustrated me to no end because WHY DID THAT HAVE TO HAPPEN?!?? (To the ones who’ve read Six of Crows already, I think we all know what I’m talking about here.)
"I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all."
I also loved the romance in this book. It wasn’t the main focus of the story, and was so properly used that I didn’t have a problem with it. Actually, it was used so well that I’m currently rooting for Inej and Kaz. And Matthias and Nina. Actually, let me just root for Wylan and Jesper too. BUT INEJ AND KAZ ARE FOREVER.

Six of Crows is a bit fast-paced but doesn’t make things confusing (At least, it didn’t confuse me). It makes the story even more gripping than it already is, which is a good thing. It also uses multiple points of view, but since Leigh Bardugo created her characters very well, I didn’t have a problem of mixing the voices with the wrong characters.
No mourners. No funerals.
And lastly, for the world building: It’s amazing. I loved looking at the map while I’m in the middle of the book. Even though it confused me at first, I grew accustomed to the world of Six of Crows really fast.

                


Overall, this book definitely deserves 5 stars from me. It’s gripping, well-paced and has a great amount of interesting characters, especially Kaz. (Oh, how much Kaz makes everyone believe he’s so strong and tough when in reality he couldn’t have built half of his reputation if it wasn’t for Inej.) A great read if you want to venture into a new world of criminals, mysteries, and power-wielding Grisha.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top