Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Clockwork Princess: A Great Conclusion to the Series

Clockwork Princess book cover  
TITLE: Clockwork Princess
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Historican Fiction
PUBLISHING DATE: September 5, 2015 by Walker Books Ltd

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


Spoiler Review

Well. This book definitely brought me the tears.

Yes, tears.

I-can’t-believe-this-is-over-Cassandra-Clare-why-you-do-this-to-me tears.

BECAUSE CLOCKWORK PRINCESS WAS JUST THAT GOOD.

(And I don’t even know how to write a review for it without mentioning spoilers, so if that header above didn't warn you enough then please do remember that ANYTHING BELOW THIS BOLD TEXT MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS FROM CLOCKWORK PRINCESS. There. Now, let us continue.)

Action-packed

I’ve only been on chapter three and Gabriel’s father already turned into a gigantic worm (honestly though, how can this not be hilarious), Jem fainted, and Josiah is apparently not impressed with Charlotte than what he acts out to be. How Cassandra Clare manages to do this and write 600 more words to end her series, I have no idea.

Will was amusing as usual

Like always. But there were also scenes that made me cry for him. I don’t even know. Will Herondale is too precious to talk about in words so can we please just stop here.

Oh, and Jem Carstairs, too

This boy. Oh God. He is such an important character in this book. I’m so glad he’s been given importance in Clockwork Princess because he deserves it. He’s too kind and precious to just be a secondary character. I love him to bits.

Tears. My TEARS.

Yes, I cried. Well – not really. I don’t easily cry while reading, but I do felt that heart-wrenching pain and the feeling of being in near tears because UGH WILL, JEM, TESSA, HOW ON EARTH OH AND JEM YOU LITTLE PRIEST THING YOU.

I honestly had a heart attack when Will’s parabatai rune faded and I thought the world was ending and aliens have invaded the country. I mean, really? Will and Jem’s friendship is honestly goals. And seeing that happen is just... Oh, my.

And speaking of Jem, THAT SNEAKY LITTLE BOY. I THOUGHT YOU DIED. HOW DARE YOU. I’m not really a fan of authors killing characters and then finding out they’re actually alive or that some miraculous thing happened and resurrected them. I mean, really – you kill your characters, then keep them dead. Please. I like dramatic things like those.

But even so, I didn’t have any issues with Jem. I knew something was off with his death, especially when I DIDN’T EVEN HAVE ANY CHAPTER TO MOURN FOR HIM (not counting that scene with Will’s parabatai rune, of course. And yes, that was intentionally typed in all capital letters).

I did like Jem’s decision to join the Silent Brothers for the sake of his friends, even though he knows he’ll be far away from them most of the time. And his farewell scene with Will? It was even more heartbreaking than his farewell with Tessa. My womanly tears. MY BROMANCE FEELS. Ugh. Can I have my own Jem Carstairs or Will Herondale, please? I’d like that kind of BFF, thank you very much.

Cecily Herondale

Yes. YES. We finally get to know who Cecily is. Although I didn’t understand why she made a sudden appearance at first, I still liked her either way. She was the anchor for Will to remember that he still has a family to go back to – that his family still cares for him. Though Cecily was a bit troublesome in the book, I actually found her amusing halfway through.

Will and Jem’s last battle together

Oh my gosh, my tears here were UGH. The bromance. Really. Makes me faint. Makes me cry. Makes me want to hide in a hole and cage myself in there forever.


Of course, there were still things that put me off in the book, especially the romance that I’ve ever-so-mentioned that I didn’t like from my previous reviews of the first two books. Let me put it into detail below:

The romance

First of all, I wasn’t fond of the way Cassandra Clare dealt with the romance at the end. I mean, sure, I really like the fact that both Will and Jem got their happy endings, but really Tessa? In the whole series, we’ve always been reading about who Tessa will really pick between Jem and Will, and in the end, she picked both. Because she’s immortal and it’s her life, yeah? Well, I... kind of didn’t like her choice. Let us talk about the scene in Chapter 19 with Tess and Will (I’m pretty sure you know what I’m talking about here if you’ve already read the book). Tessa was technically still engaged to Jem. But she still made love with Will? Plus, I figured she’d be too sad and sorrowful to even think about doing it with Will once she finds out Jem’s dead, but no. She didn’t. She just had to make her wishes come true.

Let us also talk about the part where Tessa ends up marrying Will. I love that Will got his lifelong dream of having Tessa as his, but technically, I feel like Tessa just did it to make Will happy. She didn’t really love Will in a sense that she really loved loved him, which isn’t the type of romantic happy ending that I like.

And then, when Will d-d-d...dies *starts uncontrollably bawling out tears*, Jem of course is back to being mortal and then he ends up having Tessa for himself, too. Both boys get their happy endings, yippee.

Not.

I just wished Tessa simply choose who she really loved. I didn’t “buy” her statement that she could divide her heart and yadda yadda yadda. I wanted her to really choose between the two boys. I know that doing so would make one of the boys have a sad life and such, but at least it’s realistic. I don’t know. Hopefully I’m not the only one with this kind of opinion.

Oh, and I really think Tessa loved Jem the most, though. It’s hard to explain (and if I do, I’d end up writing a really long explanation for it), but I just really feel like Jem was the one Tessa loved in a sense that she really loved loved him. More than Will.

Will saving Tessa

I also felt a little annoyed/confused with the scene where Will finally gets to where Tessa was held captive. He saw her. She saw him. Tessa knew there was an invisible wall trapping her. But when Will ran towards her, she didn’t even stop him. Isn’t that the most logical thing to do?

Because of this, I thought Will seeing Tessa that easily was a trap. I thought someone else was posing as Tessa and looked like her to fool Will. However, that wasn’t the case, which got me 100% confused. Why didn’t Tessa tell Will that there was an invisible wall? It was her chance to be saved, for Pete’s sake!

            

As usual, Clockwork Princess was as amazing as the first two books, only with a few things I didn’t like here and there. I loved the way Clare concluded this series (not including the fact that I was unimpressed with Tessa’s romance). Definitely a must-read if you loved the first two books. I’ll make sure to read her Mortal Instruments series sometime soon!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top