Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Clockwork Angel: So, Can I Ascend Now?

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (book cover) 
TITLE: Clockwork Angel
AUTHOR: Cassandra Clare
GENRE: YA Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Historical Fiction
PUBLISHING DATE: August 31, 2010 by Simon & Schuster

AMAZON | GOODREADS | BARNES & NOBLE
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

Review

“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”
To be honest, I have been thinking of reading Cassandra Clare’s books years ago. But there’s just something intimidating about those thick books that makes me think otherwise every single time I say “It’s today. I’ll DEFINITELY read one of her series today.” Fortunately enough, one of my bookworm friends forced me to read it shoved the book at me recommended The Infernal Devices trilogy to me, saying “it’s only three books” and is “better than TMI.”

So read it I did. (Mainly because I didn’t understand Cass Clare’s series before and didn’t know which book belonged to what series. It was confusing for me.)

And hey, I actually liked Clockwork Angel!

Characters


All right, first things first – of course I’m now a member of the “Will Herondale Lovers" Squad. WHO WOULDN’T?! Although he annoyed me at times for being a bit bipolar, he’s just this little kid who humors people and actually has a soft heart even though he tries to shove people away. Also, he understands me.
Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?
SEE? He's both a bookworm and a chocolate lover. WE LOVE THE SAME THINGS. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.
Also, props to Jem for supporting Will and telling people he’s actually a really nice guy once you get to know him.

Tessa. I didn’t really like her at first. Not with how vulnerable she is in the book no matter how many times she could have used her “powers” in battle. YOU CAN CHANGE INTO PEOPLE, BRUH. IT’S A REALLY GOOD SUPERPOWER. USE IT. However, the fact that she still loves her brother no matter what made me come to like her, even when that thing at the end happened. They’re siblings, and I love Tessa for still trying to believe in him when Nate mentioned countless times how he'd never consider her as his sister again.

Jem. Ah, James Carstairs. How I love this guy as equally as Will. (Well, maybe not. Maybe. I don’t know. IT’S A HARD LIFE, OKAY?) I really appreciate him for being such a good friend to Will, even though Will’s rude 80% of the time. I hope to read more of their friendship in the following books.
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Charlotte. I really love her. Clare made her become those awesome butt-kicking women who has a soft heart for people she cares the most. Although I wished she was introduced to us as a much stronger character in Clockwork Angel, I think I can cope with how equally strong and weak she is in the book.

Jessamine. I actually loved her at first, until she became so selfish and annoying that I was like, “Meh, who cares about this woman.” I had hoped she’d be those types of women who yes, hates the world, but still has a tough heart and can fight whenever (and maybe even act as comic relief with her snarky remarks), much like Johanna Mason from The Hunger Games. This has been proved to me in the battle scene with Tessa and Jessamine and her wondrously twirling parasol, but by the end of the book, the way she’s so desperate to flirt with Nate and stuff just... Meh.
Henry. I feel really bad for Henry and how he’s always being looked down upon by the Enclave. I really wish he’ll get a chance to prove himself in the future books, because if not... Well, I’ll smack each and every one of Gabriel and the others’ heads. I’M NOT EVEN GONNA BE AFRAID.

Plot & Writing


It was really good! I liked the feel of Clare’s writing in Clockwork Angel, and how it really felt like an old historical novel from the 1800's than any other fantasy books out there. I enjoyed reading them, and with all those cliffhangers, I eventually couldn’t help but get hooked every single time! I didn’t really "get" the summary of Clockwork Angel at first, but once you get to understand the book, everything will make sense eventually.

Romance


I’m not really fond of love triangles, especially if they’re not written very well. As for Clockwork Angel, well... I still have the “shrugs” over Will, Tessa and Jem’s love triangle.
I don’t understand why Tessa would be more in love with Will when Jem’s clearly more deserving for her. Is it because of Will’s looks? Maybe. Most possibly. But hey, isn’t it better to fall in love with a guy who’s always there for you and makes you smile instead of a bipolar guy who’s friendly to you first, then shoves you away the second? But hey, it’s Tessa’s choice anyway. :/

         

Overall, I really did like Clockwork Angel. Although there were some things that put me off – such as the aforementioned love triangle and some of the characters I wasn’t fond of much – it was still a really good book. Best for people who love/like magic and action-packed books with a bit of a slow pacing (let’s admit it – almost all of Clare’s chapters are really long!).
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top