Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Scarlet: In which Scarlet's Grandma is Such an Awesome Woman

TITLE: Scarlet
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
GENRE: YA Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: February 5, 2013 by Feiwel & Friends
DATE FINISHED: December 19, 2015

RATING: ★★★★☆
SUMMARY: Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive. 


Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.




I honestly loved this movie, by the way
 All right, all right – I loved this book. Although I still liked the first one more, Scarlet still had its own good spark for me. I jumped into it right after I finished Cinder, and I must say, this book didn’t disappoint me either.

First of all, Wolf. I didn’t really like him at first. He was too humble and shy and a little bit too innocent for a muscular guy with tattoos and fangs most people would be afraid of. However, I like it whenever he’s on kill mode. (I like describing the moment he’s fighting without thinking as “kill mode.” Yeah, I don’t even know.) The action is there, and all the innocence I got annoyed of dissipates. But if you like wolves and such, maybe you’ll love him more than I did.

Second of all, Scarlet. In one of Marissa Meyer’s blog posts, she described her as a girl who “does before she thinks.” I’m not really fond of those types of people, and I get that Scarlet’s dead worried about her lost grandmother, but can she just weigh the possibilities first? She could kill herself for being such a reckless girl (which is something she’s actually willing to do, but still). However, I do feel the worry she has for Michelle Benoit. Even I would be as worried as her if my own grandmother suddenly disappeared out of thin air. Eventually, I ended up forgiving Scarlet for her recklessness.

Third of all, Thorne. If you’ve read one of my commentaries while I was reading Goodreads, you’re probably already aware of how I’m one of the 13,089,349,234 billion girls who’s fawning over him. I mean, c’mon. He’s the best comic relief! I always enjoy reading parts where he’s included in it. He may be a bit cocky and self-absorbed, but I do feel like he’s got a touch of kindness here and there.



Fourth of all, Iko. She and Thorne are definitely a good pair. Best comic relief buddies ever. Plus, even I was as glad as Cinder the moment she made a comeback. I missed this childish android as much as she did. And that scene where Iko just woke up and found out she’s a ship? I laughed ‘till the end.

Fifth of all, I loved the chapters that got some action kicked in it, especially the one where Scarlet finally escapes. The fear of the gang getting caught and the moment Cinder uses her Lunae abilities got me hooked ‘till I realized I’ve finished the book.


Scarlet is definitely a good book. Although I wasn’t fond of the two main characters as much as I did with Cinder and Kai, I’ll still give this book a 4.5 out of 5.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top