Thursday, January 14, 2016

Cress: In which I was thrown tons of feels that I "couldn't even" anymore

TITLE: Cress
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
GENRE: YA Fantasy, Sci-Fi and Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: February 4th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends
DATE FINISHED: December 24, 2015
SUMMARY: In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.




Marissa Meyer has gone from mild action to freakishly-tons-of-action-where-I-thought-I-was-already-in-the-middle-of-the-book-but-no action. I definitely loved this more than Cinder or Scarlet. I can’t fully express my feelings about this book, but for the sake of this book review, I’ll try and get some words out on what I felt while reading Cress:

Thorne

Well, you know how weak I am when we’re talking about Thorne. He’s just... ugh, the comic relief he does every single time he speaks are priceless. I just really love it whenever he’s in a chapter. And the way he admits he’s not perfect no matter how he knows it’ll give Cress reasons not to love him is sweet and kind. Definitely a keeper.


Dr. Erland

Can I just... I just... I can’t... BUT DR. ERLAND! I already knew what would happen to him before I even read it because I asked for a spoiler from one of my friends but... holy cow did that hurt me. I wish I could hug Cress and give her a pat in the back and I just... No words, people, no words.

Levana (and Scarlet's finger)

WOAH THERE, LEVANA. DID YOU JUST REALLY DO THAT? The chapter before Book Four was... holy cow, I don’t even know. Before, I didn’t even think of Levana as a really scary Queen or something like that. Maybe I did consider it, because that’s what Marissa wants us to know about her – that she’s a crazy, lunatic Queen who wants power. But when that scene before Book Four came, I was just... I definitely believed that Levana should be stopped. Definitely. 100%. She’s crazy. She can’t rule a planet. She’ll end up killing everyone and she’ll be the only one left in the universe.

Cinder

That scene with Mistress Sybil near the end? Priceless. I definitely believed in how much Cinder was capable of at that time. I’m sorry, I’m pretty sure I sounded like a weird-ass sadist right there, but I really did like reading that scene. The way it made me feel while all the action was going on made me nod in approval.

And at the end, with Kai? The way she confessed about her feelings of dethroning Levana? I could sympathize with her. It made me remember how Cinder really is still a human –  just with a robot hand and leg – and that she’s not that courageous or smart.

Emperor Kai

I didn’t really like how Kai was ruling New Beijing. It’s like a lost teenager being shoved with the responsibility of being Emperor and having only learned around 30% experience about being a leader. It felt like he would be so lost in his responsibility if it wasn’t for Torin.
Now, let’s just hope Torin wouldn’t have any deep, dark plans while he takes over the role of Kai until he gets back from being kidnapped.

However, I did like Kai – just disregarding the fact that he’s an Emperor. He’s kind and understanding, and even though he admitted that he most probably wouldn’t have talked to Cinder if he knew the truth, he still liked her anyway, no matter how much of a cyborg she is.

Cress

I didn’t really like Cress at first. She gives off a bit of a similarity with Rapunzel (from the Disney movie). She’s anxious, almost always afraid whenever something peculiar happens, clumsy and gullible.

It’s kind of sad, because I’m not really fond of those kinds of characters. However, I did like how all her bad points are overshadowed by her talent with hacking. She does know how to defend herself through her talent, however she doesn’t stand a chance with physical combat. It kind of sucks, but hey, Thorne’s got her back, right? (Well, he may be blind, but still.)


Also, she tries to be confident even when she’s afraid, which is cute. I like the way she tries “acting” to shove away her fears. It’s kind of a childish way to deal with it, but still.


Overall, I really, really loved Cress. So much happened in this book more than the previous two (and some of the characters improved for me), which made me love it even more. I love action, and I love being gripped by books to no end, no matter how I hate being controlled with my emotions, and Cress definitely gave those to me. Thus, I give this book 5 stars.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top