Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Truth: Ooh, Half-Lion Humans!

TITLE: Truth (Oleah Chronicles)
AUTHOR: Michelle Johnson
GENRE: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: May 25, 2015 by Oleah Publishing
DATE FINISHED: December 15, 2015
RATING: ★★☆☆☆
SUMMARY: What would you do if everything you thought to be true in your life was a lie?

Sixteen-year-old Angel Seriki must face overwhelming truths about her family when she meets Zander Black, a new student to her high school who is smart, charming and devastatingly beautiful. The revelations he uncovers to her about her family's past changes everything, and as her relationship and feelings for Zander deepen, so do the risks involved. She must now accept her fate and face the true reality of who and what she is. Even if that means giving up everything, including being human.

I was given a free copy of this book courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review.

I was looking forward to read this book ever since I was asked to review it. I mean, come on – half-human, half-lion? Definitely haven’t read anything like that before ever since vampires and werewolves became a thing.

However, I still couldn’t help but feel a bit disappointed while reading half of the book. It felt like I was only reading an introduction to a story cut in parts to create a series. Let me enumerate the things that could have been improved:

The introduction wasn't my style

From the two (three?) whole years I’ve lived my life in the world of Wattpad, I’ve become bored with introductory chapters that start with someone waking up from an alarm clock. It just isn’t my style anymore. It’s too cliché now. I was expecting something gripping, something that would make me want to turn to the next page, but that did not happen.

OK? OK.

If you’ve read the first episode of my DNF List feature, you probably know how much I cringe at authors who type “OK” instead of the natural “Okay” when in narration. I’m pretty much all right with reading it when it’s from a text message or something from one of the characters, but if it’s already part of the main character’s narration, that’s an entirely different story for me.

 Irrelevant paragraphs

Around 35% of the book explained normal life stuff that everybody does in high school. Opening lockers, answering tests, snoozing in class when possible. I even skipped some paragraphs because they were irrelevant to the story and felt like I was reading a diary. For example:
History, as usual, was the class that I could easily catch up on some Z's without the teacher noticing. Today was movie day. We got to watch documentaries on World War II, meaning I had the whole class to take a nap. We got let out early once the movie finished, giving me an extra ten minutes until Julie got out of class. I put my books inside my locker, and sat down, leaning my back against the door and took out my phone to play Tetris.

Long. Too long. It would have been better if the other details were omitted.

I didn't understand/like Angel at some scenes

For one, when she suddenly got angry with Julie after her friend kept on teasing her about Zander when Angel herself admits that she’s taken a bit of a liking to him. Like dude, that’s a bit wrong. She’s your friend. You shouldn’t have gotten angry with her. You should have just ignored her or rolled your eyes, at least.

Two, when Angel cried after finding out her parents are hiding something from her. She doesn’t even know if the secret is something really bad yet. For all I know, it could have been a birthday party secret if I was Angel. I just didn’t connect.

Three, there were times when Angel and Julie were too girly for my taste. Example:
"-That was totally something just now, wasn't it?" Julie shrieked in excitement. "Totally!" I couldn't hide it. I was freaking out as much as she was. My cheeks hurt from smiling so hard. "What do I do?" "Invite him to your party! Duh!" "I'm gonna do it!" We both started screaming and jumping up and down until we realized where we were and all the looks we were getting from people in the hall. Embarrassed, we couldn't stop laughing as we grabbed our books, locked arms and headed to our next class. 

Zander explains too quickly

The moment Zander decides to explain everything to Angel, I was greeted with a whole bunch of paragraphs that was full of explanations. I was expecting a bit of a weight shift or any signs of emotions from Zander, at least. I know he’s probably a bit sad explaining to Angel about what he’s done, but I would have liked it better if I got some description as to how he’s acting while explaining everything.

I didn't feel any connection with Angel and Zander 

It was too insta-love. I didn’t feel anything when it came to their romance. Nor did I feel anything when Zander died. I can’t explain why, though. I just didn’t. Also, I couldn’t help but cringe when he resurrected back again.

Sindrell didn't evoke that much fear 

Maybe it’s because I haven’t seen her before in the story – only from Zander’s explanations. But the moment when Sindrell popped into the book, I didn’t feel anything. I know I was supposed to feel afraid, but I didn’t, unfortunately.


I know those were a bit too many, but there were also a few things that made me like the story.

One, I liked reading the half of chapter 8 ‘till 10. Basically the moment when something action-packed finally happens. This was what I was waiting for the whole time  I was reading the book. It was a bit fast-paced than I was expecting, which was a bit sad, but I was relieved to finally read it in the end.

Two, the introduction was good, which sufficed the lack of interest I had in the first chapter. It gave me questions I was looking forward to discover throughout the book, and I liked it.

Three, the whole thought of Oleahs intrigued me. I really like diversity when reading books, and this idea really stuck out. I liked it. I just wish I could have read more about it in action more than with just two and a half chapters.

In the end, I was expecting more action-packed stuff with Oleahs and Sindrell and all those mystical things instead of reading the high school love story of Zander and Angel. This book had so much potential, but I guess I’d have to wait ‘till the second book. Because yes, Truth only felt like an introduction to the series for me. Something to introduce us about the world of Oleahs. Everything else – the actual battle with Sindrell and Angel’s interaction with the rest of her kind – would have to wait until the rest of the series gets released.

So overall, I give Truth 2.5 Stars.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top