Thursday, December 17, 2015

Ten Thousand Skies Above You: But I Don't Believe in Destiny!

Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble
TITLE: Ten Thousand Skies Above You
AUTHOR: Claudia Gray
GENRE: YA Fantasy, Science Fiction and Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: November 3, 2015
DATE FINISHED: December 6, 2015
RATING: ★★
SUMMARY: Ever since she used the Firebird, her parents' invention, to cross into alternate dimensions, Marguerite has caught the attention of enemies who will do anything to force her into helping them dominate the multiverse—even hurting the people she loves. She resists until her boyfriend, Paul, is attacked and his consciousness scattered across multiple dimensions. 

Marguerite has no choice but to search for each splinter of Paul’s soul. The hunt sends her racing through a war-torn San Francisco, the criminal underworld of New York City, and a glittering Paris where another Marguerite hides a shocking secret. Each world brings Marguerite one step closer to rescuing Paul. But with each trial she faces, she begins to question the destiny she thought they shared. 




I honestly started reading this even though I completely forgot what happened in the previous book. I didn't Google the first book. Didn't even Wikipedia it. Or Wikia. None. Nada. I just started reading it because I was lazy.

Fortunately, it wasn't that hard to recall what happened while I read the first few chapters of the book, which was really convenient.

This book honestly stood on 50/50 ground for me. The plot was all right. However, I'm not that much of a fan of fate or destiny or whatever you call it. Paul and Marguerite believe in it, which was a small issue for me while reading the book.


The pacing was good, too. I liked how unpredictable the dimensions Marguerite kept on jumping into were. I looked forward to every jump Marguerite did because of it.

The plot twist at the end was, well, surprising as well. Who knew Triad actually meant that? Definitely liked the fact that not all Marguerites from the universes act alike.

For the characters, they were believable and realistic. But, I didn't like the fact that Marguerite was so surprised upon knowing that she got Marguerite from the Russiaverse pregnant. I mean, you did it with Lieutenant Markov. You weren't even thinking of the consequences. And now you're regretting it? Gah, it's like they always say: the guilt comes last. (Sorry, I'm not much of a fan of these types of issues in books.)

And the ending - YAS. Finally, Marguerite gets to experience being controlled by a Marguerite from another dimension. Now that's something I'd like to look forward to in the third book.

All in all, I was looking forward to what'll happen next about 70% of the time, which was good. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who likes Sci-Fi or physics. Thus, I give Ten Thousand Skies Above You 4 stars.


Do you believe in fate/destiny/etc.? Share your thoughts below!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

2 comments:

  1. I was a bit meh about A Thousand Pieces of You so I wasn't sure whether or not to continue with the series, but your review has given me motivation to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fantastic review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book didn't appeal to me much either, but Ten Thousand Skies Above you was definitely better than the first book. I hope you'll enjoy reading it, and thank you!

      Delete

Back to Top