Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Mini Reviews #1: This Book Loves You & Looking For Alaska

Hurrah for mini book reviews! These won't be as long as my usual reviews (hence "mini"), since these will usually be reviews from books I've read in the past that I don't remember that much anymore (apologizes for being such a forgetful old woman). I'll only be talking about my overall opinion about the book in a short paragraph or two.

All right, let's get started!

TITLE: This Book Loves You
AUTHOR: PewDiePie (I seriously can't believe I'm typing him as an author of a book. This guy's definitely gone far up.)
GENRE: Humor, Non-Fiction
DATE PUBLISHED: October 10, 2015 by Penguin
RATING: ★★★☆☆
SUMMARY: This Book Loves You by PewDiePie is a collection of beautifully illustrated inspirational sayings by which you should live your life. If you follow each and every one, your life will become easier, more fabulous, more rewarding. 

Imagine what a chilled-out and wonderful human being people would think you were if you lived by the simple principle "You can never fail if you never try." Your wasted life would be an inspiration to others. Think of all the pointless, unhappy striving you could simply give up. Throw away that guitar! Give up on your dreams! Embrace your astounding mediocrity. 


This Book Loves You has something for everyone--or at least everyone willing to give up and stop caring. If all else fails, remember: "Don’t be yourself. Be a pizza. Everyone loves pizza."


I finally got the chance to read This Book Loves You after 1298938 years of patience (not really).

This book was basically a 10-minute read for me. It made me cringe and smile in disbelief as I read 250 pages of nonsensical PewDiePie and duck quotes and photos. I don't even know how to express how I felt about this book because all it tells you is how useless you are in life and you just basically go with the flow because... well... yolo.

But what I CAN tell you, though, is that This Book Loves You is mainly for fans of PewDiePie. It can be treated as a collector's item for his fans. But if you're not a one, then this book might not be for you. You'll possibly find it a bit senseless and a waste of time. This is also not a book for people who are easily offended. I didn't really take anything in the book to heart, because I'm already used to PewDiePie's weird shenanigans, but if you're not used to it, then I'm telling you not to read this book.

In the end, I was entertained by This Book Loves You as a fan of PewDiePie. It gave me a fun 10 minutes of my life as I was procrastinating on other stuff I should have been doing. Definitely not something I regret.



TITLE: Looking For Alaska
AUTHOR: John Green
GENRE: YA Fiction, Contemporary and Mystery
DATE PUBLISHED: December 28th 2006 by Speak
RATING: ★★  
SUMMARY: Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Fran├žois Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.


I honestly had high hopes when I started reading Looking For Alaska. I liked how the story is divided into two parts: Before and After Alaska went missing. However, I was quite disappointed was halfway through the book.

I thought the story was quite slow-paced, and the characters didn't really appeal to me. I like how Alaska is a bit mysterious, though. I'm a sucker for intriguing people. A few pages before I reached After, I put Looking For Alaska on hold until I decided to pick it back up and continue reading it the following year. Yes. That's how uninterested I was in the book.

It's sad how I was so excited to buy this since the summary looked promising, but the book unfortunately wasn't for me. However, John Green fans might want to give this book a try anyway.


Have you read any of these books before?  If not, do you plan on reading them? If yes, then what were your own thoughts about them?
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I love your blog design! It's so pretty and chic! I saw that you wanted to be a graphic designer, did you design any of this?

    I'm not a stalker or anything, but I like to hop to blogger's websites that comment on my blog. (It's common courtesy of course.) I was reading your bio and saw that you are a fellow member of the 5SOS FAM! Hi Fam! I always love meeting new people!

    I've wanted to read PewDiePie's book for a while now. I'm totally with you and can't believe that he wrote a book.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    -Kayl @ Kayl's Krazy Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEP! Fellow fangirl!! It's the first time I've ever found another blogger with at least one same fandom as mine (besides bookish ones, of course). Is this a miracle? It probably is. Omg.

      Unfortunately I haven't learned much about making Blogger templates yet (though I do know how to make web layouts), but I'm currently working on it. :) So no, I just got this free template from Themexpose xD Thank you though!

      And no worries, I stalk too *looks away*

      Delete

Back to Top