Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Free Graphic Resource Picks

Photo from Freepik.
Although my sister’s laptop has Photoshop installed in it for work, there are still times when she doesn’t bring her laptop home and I end up using mine, which doesn’t have it. As a book blogger that needs to make header photos for every post she makes, I’m always desperate to find out good alternatives for Photoshop, especially on web.

Fast forward to today, I’ve found a lot of graphic resources I’ve been using for the past two years when I’m Photoshop-less. And since I love you guys and I always like to help every single one of you as much as I can, here are the resources I’ve found below:

Online Photo Editors

1. Pixlr

Probably the best online photo editor out that that’s as close to Photoshop. The fonts you can use here are the ones installed on your computer, which is very convenient (for me, anyway). You need to get a little bit used to its features before you use it, though, since some things might get a bit complicated. Nevertheless, it’s a good photo editor for those of you who want more than just adding texts into photos.

2. Picmonkey

The very first photo editor I used before I discovered Gimp and Pixlr. It’s pretty much easy to use and not that hard to understand. But if I can remember correctly, you can only use the fonts available in the editor and not the ones on your computer.

3. Canva

One of the easiest photo editors I’ve known in the whole World Wide Web. You probably won’t get lost in this place because it’s not that hard to understand. Canva already has tons of photos, shapes, and templates you can use and edit to your liking so you'll probably finish making your edit in not time! You can’t used installed fonts on your computer here, but there are a lot available in the editor that will probably suit your interest anyway. This only works for Google Chrome, so you might want to download it if you haven’t yet. (But who doesn’t have Google Chrome??)

Free Photos

1. Google Images

...Just kidding. Do not, as much as possible, use Google Images to hunt down photos you’d like to use for your graphic, unless you know you can properly credit the photos you get. Because if you don’t... Well, let’s just say it’s better not to get into complicated matters and simply try not to use Google Images for your blog.

2. Freepik

Freepik has a lot of beautiful vector images you can use, especially if you’re good at searching on what you’re looking for. The only thing Freepik asks in return is to give them credit somewhere on the post where you put the image you took.

3. Photopin

If you don’t think vectors will suit your graphic, then Photopin is here for you! It has a lot of good photos you can use for free, with various sizes depending on what you need.

And if you want a program close to Photoshop...

Gimp

This is the very first software I ever downloaded for editing photos. It’s the program I know that’s really, really close to Photoshop, but free. It’s a bit complicated at first, so you might want to look for tutorials when you’re confused at some of the features. Anyway, it’s something that’s fun to play around with when you’re new.


Those are the only ones I know, and the only ones I’ve been using all my life. I’ve never looked for anything more, because they already have what I need. However, if you know other websites that you’d like to share, then feel free to say so below! You might end up helping other people. ;)

Have fun editing, and I hope I’ve helped at least some of you with this!



author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

6 comments:

  1. Omg thank you so much for sharing this! I've been thinking about prettying up the graphics that I include in my posts but I didn't know where to start. Thanks again! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm glad I helped. :)

      Delete
  2. AHHH thank you for saving my sorry hopeless-at-designing ass with this post! I'll definitely check out your reccomendations, Mara. So far, I'm incredibly excited about Freepik. So far, I have mostly used Canva and Picmonkey, which have been great so far but I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons! *grins* Thanks for this! *hugs you*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Hope you'll have fun roaming around Freepik. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Mara! :D I love designing stuff, and love finding new designs/reasources hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Have fun roaming around the sites. :)

      Delete

Back to Top