Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Cinder: Cyborg Cinderella? Count Me In!

Amazon | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble
TITLE: Cinder
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
GENRE: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Sci-Fi Dystopia
DATE PUBLISHED: January 3, 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
DATE FINISHED: December 12, 2015
RATING:
★★★★★
SUMMARY: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.



I FINALLY GOT TO READ THIS BOOK.

If you have been stalking me on Twitter for quite a while now, you’re probably aware of how much I’ve been dying to read the Lunar Chronicles. I know the first book’s been released since, like, three years ago, but bear with me please. My TBR list is crying.

Moving on, I was so excited to try out Cinder ever since I read the synopsis. I mean, cyborg Cinderella? Robots? Futuristic fairytale? That’s definitely something to look forward to. And Cinder did not disappoint.

The story starts out with Cinder on her shift at work. She ends up meeting the prince of New Beijing – Prince Kai – who asks her to fix his android Nainsi. A few minutes later, the reader is introduced with the plague named “Letumosis,” which gets Cinder’s stepsister ill and dying. Adri, her stepmother, blames her for it, sends her as a volunteer as a test subject for the search to find the cure for the plague, and everything just tumble-weeds from there (apologies, I can’t say anything more or I’ll be giving out even major spoilers).

I liked the fact that almost every chapter got me gripped. The cliffhangers were so uncalled for and I just had to keep reading or else I won’t sleep without getting the cliffhanger off my head.

Although I already guessed one of the major cliffhangers (which was the fact that Cinder is actually Princess Selene), the book was still good nevertheless.

I could connect with the characters and swoon over Kai and kept on supporting Cinder all throughout. Even though I hated Adri (which is a good thing, considering she’s an antagonist and being hated is her job), I didn’t feel any annoyance to any of the other characters in a bad way.

Also, can I have Cinder’s eyes? I mean, having your own computer in your eyes without needing any more phones or laptops? Dude, that’s awesome. Also, I want to have that lie detector thing. You never know when it’d be handy.

Overall, I loved Cinder from start ‘till end. It had its own great plot twists and cliffhangers for each chapter that had me gripped to no end, which is good considering it's based off of Cinderella and I should have seen some stuff coming. Thus, I rate the book 5 stars. A big recommend for those who love Sci-Fi and fairytale retellings. It’s most possibly the type of retelling you’ve never read before.


Have you read Cinder before? What were your thoughts? 
Would you want to be a cyborg yourself? Why? Why not?
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

7 comments:

  1. I read Cinder last summer, and I loved it! I ordered Scarlet and Cress right after, and I devoured them as well. This series is definitely one of my favorites, and I recommend binge reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny... That's actually what I'm doing right now. xD I'm so glad I started reading this series after Winter got released. I'm pretty sure the excitement will kill me! >.<

      Delete
  2. Yay! I loved The Lunar Chronicles and I'm glad you enjoyed Cinder! Now, get ready for the real feelsssss in Scarlet, Cress and Winter...

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started reading Cinder! I can't wait to finish because after reading yours and so many other's glowing reviews on it, I know I'll just love it! Great review, Mara! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will! Marissa has definitely made me fall in love with her retellings. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked this one too! :D I LOVE IT. I love the whole series though...squee! And Scarlet is my favourite book (closely followed by Winter, because fajdkslfad feels and major feels and did I mention feels?) I think everyone guessed the Who Cinder Really Is plot twist?! hehe I think it was WAY too obvious, but at the same time all the pieces fit so well I can hardly complain. This book is WONDERFUL. <3
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming a fan of the series so far as well! I could tell some of the plot twists from Cinder too, but the book was still good nevertheless!

      Delete

Back to Top