Sunday, December 27, 2015

BBH: What is Your Preferred Review Format?

Previously hosted by Jen @ Crazy For Books, and now by Ramblings of A Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Blogger Hop is a weekly post to help book bloggers connect with each other. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week's question is:

What is your preferred format for reviews? Do you tell the story or do you focus on characters and the reason someone would like the review? Elizabeth @ Silver's Reviews

I usually start my reviews with important information from the book that people might want to know about (such as the genre, summary, publication date, and the like). Then I tell my readers the good and bad points of the story, all the while doing my best not to give out any major spoilers (even if it's hard).

Sometimes, I also give out recommends at the end, like what type of readers would possibly love the book, or the type that might want to give the book a try.

How about you?
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

6 comments:

  1. I think I am very traditional in my reviewing style, but I LOVE reading other reviews and deciding what to read next. There are so many books that it can be so difficult to choose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Sometimes I'd scroll through my Bloglovin' feed and search for book reviews that would catch my interest. Or other times, I'd look through Goodreads reviews before I read a book so I'll be sure it's for me.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of your blog, it's so clean and sleek <3

    Personally, I love having subheadings in my review so that I can keep my thoughts ordered! I also love doing things out of the box to match with the book e.g. employing graphics or writing a letter :D

    Aentee at Read at Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of including subheadings in my reviews as well, so (hopefully) it would look more appealing haha. xD I tend to add GIFs on mine, which I always enjoy doing. :)

      Delete
  3. I never know whether to give a summary of the book in the beginning of my review or not! I leave it out a lot of the time, but I'll do one if there aren't a lot of reviews for the book online, or if the blurb is super uninformative. Then I guess I just say what I liked and what I didn't like, sometimes in list form. Otherwise, I don't actually know what I focus on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like reading summaries of books so if I know the book, I can remember what it's all about before I read the review, or if I don't know it, then it'll be really helpful for me. So I always add book summaries to my review. Of course, it always depends on the blogger, since there will always be an option to search about the book on Goodreads. :)

      Also, saying what you did or didn't like is always a good thing to focus on a book review! It's always what I look for in them, so it totally helps! No worries. :)

      Delete

Back to Top