Tuesday, December 15, 2015

5 Bookworm Misconceptions You've Probably Been a Victim of

Bookworms have invaded a huge part of the world, and it’s only a matter of time before other people think of us as something we’re not. I’ve been a victim of this, and I honestly get annoyed at times, but I try and understand them. They’re not bookworms, so they wouldn’t understand. However, we just can’t help but cringe whenever people call us bookworms because of “blah blah blah,” when it’s definitely not the case. You feel me?

Therefore, I felt the need to write about this topic, in which I list 5 bookworm misconceptions I’ve faced with in my 15 years of existence.

You're an introvert


This may possibly be one of the most common misconceptions about being a bookworm. Yes, most of us would like to read in peace, with the sunlight shining just right on our book while we chill out on the porch and sit on that rocking chair... but that doesn’t mean we don’t like to interact with other fellow humans as well. We enjoy talking every now and then, especially about that superbly unexpected character death or that favorite OTP we’ve been rooting for years.

You know how to write


Essays, poems, prose... you name it. A lot of people somehow think us bilbiophiles know how to write as much as how we love to read. Nope. Not really. No matter how many times we endulge ourselves in books, not all of us readers know exactly how to write about our feelings. We may know a few more words than a non-reader, but some of us still find it hard to express ourselves as much as those actually-blessedly-gifted writers. I remember that time when my teacher joined me in our school’s impromptu speech contest... oh, God, the horror.


I love writing though. Just not public speaking. Please. Oh God. I'm not good at being under pressure.
 

Glasses + Person = Bookworm


Definitely not. Just because someone wears glasses, doesn’t already mean they like to read books. Yes, some of us can’t help but wear glasses because of reading in the dark or staying up late to finish that gripping novel, but not all of us wear spectacles. For example: Me and a few of my reader friends.

You've read all the books written in the whole universe 


Apparently this has happened to me before. My class was at the school library for English and one of my classmates kept on asking me if I've ever read "this" book or "that" book before. In my head I was like, "No. I may be a bookworm but I don't read all books invented out there." We have different genre preferences. We have different tastes. (Well, some of us might not have preferences of their own, but still.)

90% of our lives involve reading 


Which, well, may or may not be true. But just because we didn’t agree to come with the rest of the clique doesn’t automatically mean we did so because we’d rather read books than hang out with you. We have other responsibilities like the rest of the people on Earth, thank you very much.


Have you been victimized by any boookworm misconceptions before? (Either the ones listed or not listed above.) Share your stories below!
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

6 comments:

  1. While I happen to be an introvert, wear glasses, and enjoy writing, I have certainly had my fair share of falling into these cliches. I also think that there are a lot of misconceptions about being introverted in general, but especially regarding bookworms. Love this list and the GIFs! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fortunately for me, people at my school have finally come to realize that I'm actually a talking human being. xD

      Delete
  2. Hehe, yes, some of these cliches can be totally off. xD Although I do have to point out that introverts can enjoy company a lot!! Introvert doesn't mean "shy", it means you recharge and get energy from being alone, whereas an extrovert gets energy from being with people. :P Sorry, nerding out there. *ahem* BUT. There are extroverts who love to read too and that's great!
    AND ALSO THE GLASSES. *raises hand* I do not wear glasses. In fact, I like rock climbing and running which is against the bookworm cliche. XD
    I also get tired of the cliche that being a true bookworm means you have to enjoy classics and stuff. XD I CANNOT!! :P So basically this post is very true. *nods*

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was pretty funny, Mara! I'm not annoyed when classmates get a random book in my school's library and ask me if I've read the book. I mean, you are initiating book talk with me! YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BOOKS IN FRONT OF MY FACE. (Bless you.) I just really love when people are very willing to talk about bookish stuff :-)

    I DO get annoyed when they think I'm an introvert. Sure, I find joy being alone with a book to read, but I have a life? A real one??

    Great post Mara :)

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that classmate of mine kept doing it to annoy me... which wasn't entirely fun, sigh.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hahahha these are funny! I am... most of them, actually ;) To be fair, I am not REALLY an introvert, just anxious. After I calm down, I am good. AND I don't want to only read, but I don't have anywhere else to go! And I had glasses- if I showed you a picture of me before 5th grade (when I got contacts) I was textbook-definition bookworm stereotype hahah. I had laser eye surgery, but my vision is getting worse again, sadly, and I don't want my glasses back to complete the list! Oh and I WANT to be able to write AND read all the books in the universe but... that isn't always possible ;) Fun post!
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top