Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Blogger Positivity Campaign: An Introduction

You guys probably don’t know it yet – well, now you do! –  but I’ve recently joined Jillian @ Jillian’s Books’ Blogger Positivity Campaign! Like the title says, it’s an event that aims to spread positivity for all bloggers out there! There will be writing prompts every Friday of the week starting from November 20 until December 4, where we’ll talk about stuff for bloggers that may hopefully make them smile. :)

Today, however, serves as an introduction for the campaign. I’ve received a list of things I should answer along with the other participants, and since I love lists (who doesn't?), I’ll be answering them as one below.


Introduce yourself and your blog!


Wait a sec...

I’m pretty sure I can answer this by linking you to my About page, but I’m still going to introduce myself either way. (Narcissist at heart - just kidding)

Aside from being a teenage girl who loves books and lives in the hot-and-cold land of the Philippines, I’ve always been an avid fan of graphic designing and writing. I’ve been blogging on-and-off for years until I’ve decided to calm down and finally make one that I’ll never leave again – which is this blog, Mara Was Here. I’ve only been in the book blogging community for like, two months or so, but I’m already loving it. Writing about the things I love most is so much fun than the other blogs I’ve done that doesn’t really have much of a main focus.

But anyway, I’m still trying to work my way into the common life of a book blogger. I only know a few things about it these past two months, and I’m ready to know more. Hopefully I can drag you guys along for the ride while I’m at it. ;)

Where do you blog from?


My evil lair is located within the depths of the Philippines, somewhere around the lands of Metro Manila. I use Blogger as my robot assistant whose mobile version honestly isn't of much use. Then again, I love it either way.


Who made you the reader you are today?

A big round of applause please – I’d like to thank my parents. They were both bookworms when they were young (though now, not so much), and they’ve always encouraged me to read books ever since I started learning how (though I sometimes feel like they probably regret it by now). Now the thought of separating me from a book feels like a sin. Like, why shouldn’t I read? It’s like the best gift ever, duh.

Who made you decide to create a book blog?


I’m an extreme fan of Youtubers (though I’ve recently been having a hard time finding free time to watch them recently), and one of them is Zoella. When I heard that she has a blog, I checked it out immediately and I loved it. The thought of posting about stuff that interests you and talking about it with people in the comments section – I don’t know, it just felt so interesting to me. 

Days after that, my sister who works for a PR Agency kept introducing me to fun blogs she knew from work, and I just figured I should make my own. I mean, maybe it’s a calling – oh, who am I kidding, I just really wanted to start one from that point on, and I did. (Ta-da, Mara Was Here!)

Your thoughts on the Blogosphere today?


I honestly love it. Everyone’s so nice and approachable, and the posts I read are so interesting most of the time, especially those features and weekly/monthly memes. I love the chance of discovering people like me who has the same passion as I do.

5 Random Facts About You?

- I have a very dangerous sweet tooth. DESSERTS FOR LIFE.
- I’m 5-foot-8 and a half inches, which is quite tall for a fifteen-year-old girl in our country.
- Despite this blog, I'm actually very afraid of public speaking and being in large crowds, though I somehow don't have problems with concerts since I went to One Direction's OTRAT Manila show once.
- You can never separate me from my phone. Just never. I’ll cry.
- I like hugging people. *hugs you to prove my point*


5 books you've read and loved?

Oh, this is a tough one. My favorites always change from time to time, so these are just the books I’ve read and loved so far:
These are five, I swear. Just consider the Divergent series as one. *looks away*

5 Favorite Book Bloggers?

I’ve only known quite a few since I’m only new to the community, but here are the book bloggers – or book blogs, because I’m a rebel – I love so far!

- Cait @ Paper Fury
 
Paper Fury is a book blog that also posts about literary things such as NaNoWriMo and other
  stuff about writing. I love this blog so much, mainly because of its beautiful blog design and
  funny posts. Her blog titles are always so interesting to click on as well. This is most probably
  the blog I’m inspired to the most.

- Jillian @ Jillian’s Books
 
I swear, this isn’t biased. The first few weeks I’ve created my blog, I started looking around this
  book blog listing website and found Jillian’s Books at the very top of its YA section. I clicked
  on it, and was hooked ever since.
I’m pretty much Jillian’s secret stalker by now.

  This is definitely at least one of the book blogs for me. I can relate to every post, and the books
  reviewed and/or featured almost always peak my interest. Actually, anything YA peaks my
  interest, lol.

  As usual, one of the blogs I love because of its design. Pink may not be my favorite color, but
  let’s face it – Novel Ink’s blog design is just fabulous. I get sucked into their site and read their
  posts most of the time because of it.

- Jessica @ Bookish Serendipity
 
With an adorable layout and an owner that’s nearly the same age as mine, I can always relate to
  Jessica’s posts. Her features and discussions are always entertaining, and she’s always one of
  the e-mails I read in my subscriptions.


And that's it for the introduction. I can't wait to post the first topic for the campaign on Friday for you guys! But until then, I've got a question for you: Do you have your own favorite books or book blogs/bloggers you want to share? Got anything interesting about you that you'd want me - or everyone else hanging out at the comments section - to know? Don't hesitate to write about it below! I'll pretty much be having fun reading all of your comments for sure.


author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

12 comments:

  1. Cait and Jessica were both on my favourite bloggers too! I'm already loving this campaign, I'm discovering so many new people because of it. I'm obsessed with your blog layout by the way - everything is just so clean and neat looking!

    Can't wait to see what you come up with on Friday for this campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm loving the campaign as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Public speaking is so stressful, so I totally understand why you'd be afraid of it! I unfortunately have not read any of the books you listed in this post *shame-faced* BUT The Young Elites and Rainbow Rowell are both on my TBR list. Someday I will get around to them! Anyway, this is a fabulous introduction, Mara, and I look forward to reading your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight words:

      YOU NEED TO READ WE WERE LIARS ASAP!

      I'm sorry, that was probably a bit surprising. But really, out of all the books I listed above, We Were Liars struck me the most. I hope that it will have the same effect for you, too, if you somehow decide to read it yourself sometime. (I honestly have a love/hate relationship with that book because it's so good.)

      Also, thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Your blog is so pretty, Mara - I'm glad you've decided to keep it?? Ah, I too have only been present in the book blogging community for a few months. But so far it has been great and I am LOVING this campaign because as well as spreading positive vibes, it means I get to discover some really cool blogs. Like this one :-) OMG YES DESSERTS FOR LIFE PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll probably be keeping it for a year so. :)

      I'm still a newbie in the community too, so you're not alone! I'm really happy about the campaign as well - it's making me subscribe to so many new blogs! Haha

      Oh and also:
      YAY DESSERT BUDDY!

      Delete
  4. Whoa. We're so close in age. THAT'S CRAZY WEIRD. Like weird weird. Haha. Never mind. I'm totally random.
    The Philippines has a lot of bloggers. It's cool. What's it like there? (I'm so American. Ya know? I've actually been to China so yaaah.)
    But it's nice to meet you. I'm Wren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather say awesome, actually. I still haven't found that much bloggers around my age, so I'm glad you stopped by here!

      I don't know why we have a lot of bloggers, either... Maybe we just really like talking? Lol, us Filipinos are very weird people. We like starting random stuff (especially hashtags on Twitter) just for laughs haha. Filipinos are quite fun people if you get involved in the right crowd, though living in the Philippines makes you want to love the cold weather (we only get it around November 'till March), so I'd love to know what it's like living in America (sorry for the irony lol).

      It's nice to meet you, too! Thank you so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah! I am so glad to see you are are participating in this too! It's such a great campaign! I completely agree with your choices of Divergent, The Young Elites and We Were Liars - those are both two of my favorites as well. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see your next post on Friday! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see yours, too!

      Delete
  6. HI MARA/KABABAYAN! (I literally greet every Filipina blogger I know and call them "kababayan" because I can, that's why.) :P

    I was supposed to send in a comment yesterday, but my phone and the hotel wifi was acting funny so I'm surprised it didn't send in since yesterday :( Anyway, lovely intro! I loved We Were Liars as well :D E. Lockhard, the author, came to the PH and i wish I could've gone! Did you go to that one, though? And thanks so much for the shoutout, wahh I smiled so big! I had no idea my blog was in the top of the list though. I'll be your secret blogger stalker next so beware! Haha!

    It's cool how we're literally the same age though. :) Thanks for participating, and I really appreciate you joining in! Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY KABABAYAN ❤️

      Unfortunately, I didn't go. I read the book after the signing happened, so I literally just let the awesome opportunity slip away like that. *cries*

      You're welcome, and thank you as well! You probably won't find much in my blog, but feel free to search through every bits and pieces of it haha.😂

      Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!!

      Delete

Back to Top