Sunday, November 15, 2015

I'm Just Living Here... Not As A Superhero



TITLE: The Rest Of Us Just Live Here
AUTHOR: Patrick Ness
GENRE: Young Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Paranormal, Fantasy and Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: August 27, 2015 by Walker Books
DATE FINISHED: November 12, 2015


What if you aren’t the Chosen One?

The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death?

What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again.

Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life.

Even if your best friend is worshipped by mountain lions.

Award-winning writer Patrick Ness’s bold and irreverent novel powerfully reminds us that there are many different types of remarkable.

REVIEW


I must admit, the moment I set my eyes on TROUJLH’s book cover, I already knew I just had to read it. Apart from its beautiful cover (especially the old one back in August, before the new cover got released in October), its summary was so weird and uncanny that it became interesting for me. I mean, we’ve all read about superhero books, right? That ones where the narrators are the saviors. But what about the people who end up helplessly getting involved in the situation? Don’t they have a story to tell?

I was thinking that, yes, they probably did. Though it probably isn’t that much of a gripping story than the hero’s. And that’s what The Rest Of Us Just Live Here is all about.

There’s a mythological god kicked into the story, plus light bromance, though the whole plot doesn’t revolve in any interesting climax at all. Maybe the only gripping scenes were the light insider summaries about the indie kids’ (a.k.a. the superheroes) adventures at the start of every chapter. Though I may have to say that I was quite suspicious of Nathan at some of the chapters, and I have Michael to blame (sorry, Mike).

The characters, however, were written very well. Michael’s Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder was described properly that I knew he had it before Patrick Ness could even directly state what his problem was called. I also liked how Henna and Michael sorted things out between them. It felt, to me, like something that rarely happens in contemporary YA literature.

The only thing that probably bothers me is the question of what Nathan was doing smoking in that forest when Michael found him. Did he check out Jared’s lion or something? It’s probably a question that has an answer somewhere  in the story that I didn’t quite pick up, so if you’ve read the book and know the answer, please do say so in the comments below (I’m sorry, it’s probably one of the disadvantages of fast readers).

All in all, I’ll give The Rest Of Us Just Live Here a 4 out of 5. It’s a light read for those who just want to chill, though probably not for those who are looking for more hero action/involvement.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top