Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Illuminae: Why I Have Trust Issues With Authors

TITLE: Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1)
AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
GENRE: Young Adult Fiction, Romance, Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Action
PUBLISHING DATE: October 20, 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
FINISHED ON: November 23, 2015
RATING: 



This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.


Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.

REVIEW


See, this novel is a perfect example as to why I have trust issues with authors.

Illuminae is the first book of the Illuminae Files Trilogy. It tells its story through hacked files from a group named “Illuminae,” and centers on the life of Kady Grant and Ezra Mason, who chose the perfect time to break up the moment an organization called BeiTech invaded their planet, Kerenza.

To be honest, I almost put this book on my DNF list, and thank God I didn’t.

The reason why I almost gave up on this book was because I didn’t understand what I was reading at all 60% of the time. “Who really is BeiTech and why did it invade Kerenza?”, “Oh, but wait, so Kerenza’s a planet or what?”, “OOH so AIDAN’s an AI? In a ship called Alexander? Did I get that right?”, “Hold up, so did he really die or not?? I’m confused”, “WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON?!?”

These questions kept on popping in my head, and it was only halfway through the story – and the exact moment the action was already building itself up – did I find out the answers to my questions. I won’t answer them for you, because that’s the irritating – yet fun – part. You need to figure all the information out yourself through the hacked data given in the book or else nobody will answer it for you (unless you have a friend who’s read and understood the book a hundred percent).

I could relate to the romance, for the most part As a teen that uses instant messaging 24/7 and talks to people I hold dear using my phone, I could imagine what the characters were feeling as I read Ezra and Kady’s chats, as well as the others. So I didn’t have a problem with that.

For the plot – oh, God, the plot. It’s amazing. It’s mind-blowing. It’s confusing, yet I’m still so gripped by it. I don’t even know why. Maybe it’s because it’s the type of sci-fi book I’ve never read before? I’m not sure, but for one thing, I liked it. And maybe you’ll be mind-blown, too.

Overall, I really loved Illuminae. The only thing that's pulling me back from giving it 5 stars is because it’s the type of book you need to be patient with. It’s the type of book you need to learn to understand and feel for yourself. The chats of Ezra and Kady might not appeal to others unless you open your mind and think what they were possibly thinking and feeling while they were sending their IMs, or else it’ll feel like an empty conversation to you. You also need to pay attention to every file you read, because you might want to go back to the previous pages after something is revealed in the book.

So if you don’t like those types of novels, as well as strikethroughs and censors that are present 80% in the story, then Illuminae probably isn’t for you.


P.S.: To be honest, I can’t even wait for book two. I NEED IT. AND I NEED IT NOW. Like seriously, I didn’t even feel like this with The Young Elites. I’m craving for the second book, because this first one left me with tons of questions I need an answer for. But anyway, I hope this book appeals to you as much as it mind-███ed me.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top