Monday, November 2, 2015

Playing For Love: New Heart-Fluttering High School Romance


Amazon | Goodreads


TITLE: Playing For Love
AUTHOR: Dana Burkey
GENRE: YA, Contemporary, Romance
PUBLISHING DATE: November 1, 2015
FINISHED ON: October 31, 2015
RATING: 

For years now, Fiona has been known by everyone at school as "Ross Mealing's little sister." But now, as she begins her sophomore year of high school, she is determined to be known by a new title: "Jordan Peterson's girlfriend." The only problem with that plan? Jordan happens to be best friends with her brother, and after this year will be moving on to college. Hoping to act like the girls Jordan has dated in the past, Fiona joins the soccer team and does her best to make Jordan see her as more than just his best friends little sister. Will Fiona's plan work in the end?

I received an advanced reader's copy of this book courtesy of the author in exchange for an honest review.

REVIEW

Playing For Love is a story about Fiona Mealing and her love for her brother's best friend Jordan, and how she's willing enough to do whatever it takes to make him fall in love with her. The story begins with Fiona joining her school's soccer team to get Jordan's attention, and everything just escalates from there. A little bit of a cliché? Yes, I know.

However, there are still a few points where the book was good enough for me to finish, though I admit that at the start, I had the feeling of wanting to put it on my DNF list. Let me put my review into sections for you:

1. Characters

The characters in the story were well-described and were real enough for me to imagine them as actual high schoolers. However, there were parts in the story that made me feel like Fiona acted like a child. Or rather, someone who's younger than she was described to be. I found a few of her teary-eyed scenes a bit over-the-top, or at least it seemed to me like it wasn't how a person her age would react. The way she kept assuming things with her and Jordan made me feel a bit off as well. But still, she's in love. I probably act like her on the inside sometimes with my crush as well, so who am I to argue with that, yeah?

2. Plot

The plot was well-made though simple and a bit predictable. It's a light read and probably for those who like to have their hearts flutter with typical high school romance. I think the book can also pass as Middle Grade rather than just YA, since there's nothing much in the story that seemed too major for children that age to digest.

3. Ending

I felt a bit frustrated at the ending since was just impossible for Jordan not to notice that. I haven't met a person that ignorant in my entire life, so that's probably the reason why it was too hard for me to believe. However, I think the ending summarized the story well, so that's that.


To summarize everything: I liked the book, especially once I reached near the end. Although I felt like there was something lacking, or something the novel could have improved more. Playing For Love is probably for those who like to have their hearts melt over high school romance, and also for those who like to read The Princess Diaries-like books. Overall, I give the novel 3 out of 5 stars.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top