Saturday, October 3, 2015

Book Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson


Yep! I'm a bookworm. That's why I decided to make a book review today, since I just finished Morgan Matson's latest novel. I've been reading it for around half a month, which is definitely not like me. It's just the fact that I've been so busy with schoolwork that I didn't have time to finish it like I usually do (I finish books in one week or mostly less). Anyway, I didn't post this to say that. I posted this for the book review. So here it goes!

Buy from Amazon; Check it out on Goodreads
TITLE: Since You've Been Gone
AUTHOR: Morgan Matson
GENRE: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance, Fiction
DATE PUBLISHED: May 6, 2014 by Simon And Schuster
DATE FINISHED: October 2, 2015

It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just... disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?
Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily no has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she'll find?

Go skinny-dipping? What... what?

REVIEW
*Warning: Possible Spoilers Ahead*

I didn't really buy this book when I read it on paperback. I just borrowed it from a friend of mine who bought it off the internet, since it wasn't available in our country yet (pre-Manila International Book Fair 2015). I only decided to read it since I ran out of new books to read on my shelf (one of the most terrifying experiences a bookworm can have). What I didn't expect is that I'd come to like the storyline so much, to the point that I got attached to Frank and his, erm, abs.

One of the things I loved about this book (besides the fact that I always get Kelly Clarkson's song stuck in my mind whenever I read the book title) is how it centers on friendship. It's been a while since I've read a book that doesn't focus on romance and action, where the main best friend's role is to mainly just help out on the MC's love life. The way the Emily did each of the list's tasks transitioned smoothly. The way Emily and Frank's relationship climbed from nothing, to friends, to something more was also carried properly (for me, anyway). And the way Emily and Sloane's friendship was described reminded me of me and my own group of friends. How we were inseparable and loved to do things together. How we'd fool around and tell secrets. But this book also covers the fact that you can't depend on your friends forever. There will come a time when you'll live the reality of life where nobody can help you but you, and you have to be brave enough to face it. And I love that.

However, the only thing that bothered me is the lack of closure between Emily, Dawn and Collins at the end. Did Dawn and Collins forgive Emily? Did their group reunite again? Did Dawn still hate Emily for what she did? The only thing I got for an answer is from the book's extra Q & A session, where one fan asked "Do Dawn and Collins ever forgive Emily and do they figure out how to become friends again? Been DYING to know how that turns out." Morgan answered, "My editor and I actually struggled to see if we could get mroe closure with that into the book, but there just wasn't a place for it that didn't feel forced. In my mind, I have an idea about how things turn out. I hope that everyone has become friends again." She also adds, "You might get to see proof of this in my next book. Keep an eye out for it!"

Seems like I might be reading a copy of her next book, then. I hope it won't take long. I'm a sucker for patience.

Moving on, I give this book a 4 out of 5. It's not exactly a really special and awesome book with action and life-and-death situations, but it is a really nice summer read. So if you want to calm down from reading Divergent or The Maze Runner series, and if you love books from Stephanie Perkins or Sarah Dessen, this one's for you.




author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top