Sunday, October 18, 2015

Book Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell


Finally! A new book review. I got this in hardcover edition as a gift from my father on my birthday last October 13th, and I practically screamed with joy because I've always wanted to read this book. In paperback, and not on an ebook. Best day of my life.

Buy from Amazon; Check it out on Goodreads
TITLE: Carry On (The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow)
AUTHOR: Rainbow Rowell
GENRE: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult Fiction, Romance
DATE PUBLISHED: October 6, 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin
DATE FINISHED: October 17, 2015

Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make the wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here - it's their last year at Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Carry on is a ghost story, a love story, and a mystery. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story - but with far, far more monsters.

REVIEW
*Warning: Possible Spoilers Ahead*

How the book actually existed is quite complicated. Carry On is a fictional book made up from a fan-fiction from another fictional book that was inspired by another fictional book, namely the Harry Potter Series. Confusing, eh? Not for those who's read Fangirl beforehand. But you don't really need to read it to understand Carry On.

I'd like to start everything off from the book cover. Beautiful. I can't even describe how I love it in words. I'm a sucker for book covers, and yes, I judge books based on them. But really, I think every judges-a-book-by-its-cover type of person would probably stop their eyes on Carry On and check it out. It just looks really nice and pretty. And I love how the jacket feels from the hardcover edition.

Now, to the novel itself.

To be honest, it's the first time I've actually read an M/M book. I didn't even think that I was bringing myself to an M/M book until I reached page 176. But I don't think I really minded it that much. How the romance was carried out wasn't really weird and awkward, but it was perfect. For me, anyway. I didn't even mind that I was reading about two boys kissing and swooning over each other because I was too busy thinking how the romance is just really sweet and nice like every other romance book. And even though I'm not much of a fan of constant POV-changing, I liked the fact that I could get to read how the boys felt for each other from both of their perspectives. I thought I'd just read about Baz's ongoing attempts of insulting Snow from at least half of the book - well, there really are - but I realized Baz isn't the type of person Simon thought he really was. And even though this screams an all-out CLICHÉ Baz actually has a soft heart from all the pressure he gets from his family and how he's expected to kill the guy he actually loves.

And then the plot.

To be honest, I could foresee a few of the plot twists because, like I said, the book is practically based off of the Harry Potter series, and even though Carry On is a different standalone novel, it still carries its original name as a "Fanfiction based off of the Simon Snow Series that's basically a remake of the Harry Potter Series from Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl." I could see Ebb representing Hagrid, and Simon obviously representing Harry. Then Baz as Draco, Agatha as Ginny, Penelope as Hermoine The Mage as a different version of Dumbledore, and so on. But even so, I couldn't erase the fact that I was extremely hooked with the book and I just wanted to finish it already and know what happens, but I'm not that fast of a reader.

Overall, reading Carry On is like reading another version of the Harry Potter series but in standalone version. I'm not saying it's completely based off of HP, because Carry On has its own different plot, but still. If you like Fantasy and Paranormal books that comes with a completely fictional setting (a.k.a. Watford), you might want to give this one a try.

I'm rating Carry On five stars because I was extremely hooked with the book, and I loved it. I hope you will be, too.


author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! :D I stumbled upon your blog through Bloggers Commenting Back and wow girl, your blog is gorgeous! Seriously, lovely design :) I checked out your archive and basically I couldn't resist reading your review on Carry On. I'm so psyched for this book BUT I HAVEN'T GOT MY HANDS ON IT YET ARGH it's so frustrating.(although I haven't read Fangirl.. shhh) I've seen this circulating on the book blogging community and since it was released, have been torturing myself by reading reviews and hauls featuring this book. My advice: don't.
    I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell not long ago and absolutely loved it. Have you read it? I totally recommend it if you haven't.
    Btw, you gained a new follower! *winks* So excited to see what you come up with in the future xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love my blog's design as well (minimalistic nerd right here).

      I was extremely excited to read Carry On when it finally got released as well! Actually, I was so excited I decided to put my current read on hold just to squeeze in time to read the book haha.

      I think reading book reviews of the novels I'm interested in is one of my pet peeves as well. I mean, I just can't help it - I'm a sucker for spoilers even though I hate it lol.

      And yes, I've read Eleanor & Park! I loved it as much as any of the other books Rainbow Rowell has written so far. I just love her writing style so much. You should read Fangirl sometime soon, too! It's a bit more of a light read than Eleanor & Park, though it's still a good book either way.

      Hope you (finally) find time to read Carry On, and thank you so much for subscribing to my blog! *starts doing awkward dance moves*

      Delete

Back to Top