Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Review: All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


Amazon | Goodreads



TITLE: All The Bright Places
AUTHOR: Jennifer Niven
GENRE: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult, Depression & Mental Illness
PUBLISHED ON: January 6, 2015 by Knopf Publishing Group

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.
 
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.
 
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.



BOOK REVIEW

"Sometimes, Ultraviolet, some things feel true to us even if they're not."

You've probably read this in tons of reviews, but I still have to point out that All The Bright Places honestly reminds me a bit of John Green's The Fault In Our Stars. Illness + Mysterious Guy MC + Characters Go On A Trip = Bam, their story. So why did I keep on reading the book 'till the end? Why - even though there were parts that didn't really interest me - did I like it?

Jennifer Niven made me look into the eyes of a teenager with bipolar disorder. Even though it may be different for everybody, I still got to see how people live through their lives with that kind of mental illness. Which is probably the reason why I made it throughout the whole book.

I had a classmate a year ago with the same disorder and we ended up as friends. We talked a lot, and yet there were things about her that made me feel frustrated. Sometimes I wondered if I should still stick with her. But, because I'm the type of person who tries to understand people as much as possible, I still hung out with her. Unfortunately, something happened in school that made her drop out and we never got the chance to talk again.

Because of her book, Jennifer Niven made me realize how hard it probably was for that friend of mine to experience life. It made me feel attached to Theodore and understand him better, to see how hard he tries to live through life, especially for Violet.

I also liked how Theodore changed every few days. From 80's Finch to Badass Finch and many others. I liked how, even though this is probably a side effect of his illness, he doesn't care if he changes. He does what he wants whenever he wants.

Although I didn't cry at the end, I'm happy at how the novel ended. Although I feel like there was something lacking (I'd point it out, but unfortunately I don't know what it is, either) and that the book isn't all that gripping for me, All The Bright Places is a novel that you'd probably want to read if you like books with broken people who fight through their lives anyway. All in all, I give this book 4 out of 5 Stars.
author image

Mara @ Mara Was Here

*Pops confetti* Congratulations, you've reached 'till the end of this post! I'm Mara, 15, and I love anything bookish and graphic designing. I also spend 90% of my life fawning over fictional boyfriends and smelling books. Thanks for hanging out at my blog! (And yes, that's me sniffing Six of Crows in our car.)

2 comments:

  1. I love how you use your personal experience and old friendship to give a sense of empathy and sensitivity to your review. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top